Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

My norcold frig trips main breaker when it is turned on

Customer Question

my norcold frig trips main breaker when it is turned on
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.

That is a symptom of the compressor being shorted out and testing can determine that. It can also be caused IF you are pulling more amps on the cord where you are plugged in than is available............like using an extension cord or adapter on the cord. IF you are on an inverter and batteries, then it can be the total load is too large OR the batteries just can deliver that much power at that time. Check the total loads you have hooked up. The water heater on A/C mode (if you have that) can do that. It can be a defective breaker, but you already tried that here. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unplugged shore power and breaker still failed how would I test compressor
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.

With an ohm meter. That isn't always conclusive if the compressor is locked up. IF you see any reading between any of the terminals once disconnected and the case, then it is shorted out. That is the most common cause. I would make sure that nothing else is on that circuit. When a water heater element shorts out it does this. Eliminate any other possibilities. R.J.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I run 12 volts directly to frig
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.

This should be powered up by the batteries and converter now.............are you trying to bypass the converter? IF that was the issue, you would blow the breaker even if the fridge was off. But, yes.......you can. Just be sure the polarity is correct.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just put 12volt directly to frig and fan started then internal breaker tripped
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If compressor is bad can it be replaced
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wat else can it be
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
That pretty well tells you that it is time for a new unit. Not feasible to repair these most of the time and Norcold is not good about keeping parts for them. Sorry that wasn't good news! R.J.