spankyjr1
spankyjr1, RV Mechanic
Experience:  I have been a mechanic/ technician for over 30 years working on gas,diesel,engines drive train,and electronics.
65057319

I have an ISL 425hp Cummins in a 2009 Class A coach. I

Customer Question

I have an ISL 425hp Cummins in a 2009 Class A coach. I bought it used in2013 w/7,000 mi.
& have driven it 13,000 mi. since w/ no issues. Had a full service done in Feb.2015. Since then have had CHECK ENGINE messages 2 times on trip in May & 4 more on trip in Aug. Ea. time I checked fluid levels, oil press., and temp. All were OK. restarted and continued on my w/o issues. No oil use or coolant use. Brought it to Bridgeway Cummins for diagnosis. They did a blow by check stall test. Results =20". They suggest a rebuild. They
say its been dusted. We repl. air & crankcase filters? They act like i"ll be fortunate to get
1300 miles back to Fl. Is it really that far gone?
Category: RV
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** you for your question.
sorry for long delay
What were the two messages you got on trip?
So you are not using oil or coolant,, any smoke out exhaust or breather tube and if so what color?
This may be easier to discuss over the phone, I will send you a phone call offer,, you don't have to accept but will be a lot faster for both of us.
Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've not seen any exhaust smoke. Will have to locate breather tube & watch it . The two messages and the four on the second trip were simply "check engine" & a red engine symbol. No detail of what to look for. After shutdown for fluid check the engine was restarted and no more alerts that day.
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for info.
I don't think you will have any problems making it back, it sounds like you have a bad low coolant sensor or clogged breather filter.They can change the setting in engine computer from a shutdown warning to just a warning, so no red engine light will come on only the ***** *****ght will come on and not derate engine or shut engine down for low coolant.You are not loosing coolant or oil so it can't be anything but a sensor or loose wire.
If you actually had that much blow by you would see smoke out the exhaust and a lot of smoke coming out breather tube,,(the breather tube runs down side of engine from crankcase filter so you could just look under engine to see if it is smoking) I think you just had a plugged breather filter that did need replacing.
Sometimes just unplugging and plugging back in low coolant plug at low coolant sensor (located in coolant reservoir) will keep it from coming back on,,they tend to loosen up a little causing a poor connection and doing this usually fixes that.If it does not change sensor when you get home.It will no longer shutdown if setting is changed.
Please take a moment to rate my service so that I can get credit for my time from the web site ,without a rating the web site does not pay me.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
Thanks
spanky