RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Dometic refrigerator/ freezer in my rv and it has…

I have a Dometic refrigerator/...
I have a Dometic refrigerator/ freezer in my rv and it has been sitting unused for several years. When plugged into 120v, the freezer cooled down but did not get anywhere near freezing. The frig did not cool off at all. I have never tried using it on propane. Any thoughts?
8/19/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert...
This could be a cooling unit issue, if you go to the outside access you will see the flue canister, going into the flue canister will be the wires for the AC heating element, that area should feel very hot to the touch, next feel the gray absorber coils, they should feel warm from top to bottom. IF you have any cool or very hot spots the cooling unit could have failed. A cooling unit can rupture or become blocked, for a rupture you might smell ammonia, hear a gurgle when you turn it on or see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge. For a blockage you might not get any symptoms at all but no cooling on both sources.
I might blow out the burner tube and then run it on LP and see if it cools.
One other item is the thermistor IF you have a volt meter I can tell you how to check that out.... Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic