RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I'm plugged into my 30 amp. Every hour the power goes out. I…

Customer Question
I'm plugged into my 30...
I'm plugged into my 30 amp. Every hour the power goes out. I have to unplug then reconnect the plug.
When air goes out, the 110 current still works.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
8/15/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert...
Are you using any adapters or extension cords on the main cord?
Have you tried another power source?
Robert
AdapterNo other power sources within cord length
OK
So are the lights also going out when the AC fails?
Robert
I replugged but this time (not every time) I had to reset breaker in the camper (not at 30amp source)
OK
Sounds like you are not losing the AC power but all the DC power. When you are plugged into power the power converter will take the AC voltage and make the DC voltage. I would still want to confirm that you are not losing the AC power OR the AC power wiring is not the issue. What I would do is get a polarity checker and plug it into one of the outlets, the polarity checker will tell you if you have voltage AND if there is a wiring issue, most home improvement stores will carry them for a few dollars. IF the AC power looks good then you have to look at the converter. Sometimes on the cable from the converter to the battery they will use an auto breaker, the auto breaker will have two posts on it with a cable on each side. Some are thermal so when they heat up they break contact and you would loose power, when they cool off they reset and you would get power back. Normally they like to stick them 18" from the battery.
I would also try a new adapter if possible sometimes they can fail but if that was the case you would be losing both the AC and DC power.
The converter will be part of the main fuse/breaker panel or stand alone and plug into an outlet. Need to see if the power converter is getting AC voltage when this is occurring if so then it could be the power converter or that breaker I was talking about, check all your connections at the breaker panel as well..... Hope this helps, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert
I just realized that the 30 amp box is a few inches from the top of the 4x4 post. The screw is stripped and when I push the box in the AC comes on. Allow the box to pull away and the AC cuts off.However my 110 with fan, cellphone or anything plugged in still works.It does on occasion trip the 110 breaker in the camper.
OK
I would really advise to try another power source if possible if you are pushing on the box then it could be the supply.
Also when you are on 30 amp service you need to watch how much power you are using, it should be plenty to run the roof air, but if you were to turn other items on all at the same time you would blow that breaker. Something tells me it is the source and before looking at the RV side I would try another pole.... Robert
Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic