Ron, RV Mechanic
Experience:  32 years Master Tech ASE certified.
7276279

We have a 1998 HR Vacationer motorhome with a Ford 360cu in

Customer Question

We have a 1998 HR Vacationer motorhome with a Ford 360cu in motor V6. It has been stalling on us when we are are slowing down. Scarey to say the least. If we leave it sit for awhile we can go again. When pumping on the gas it has backfired trying to go forward or back
Category: RV
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
The problem you are describing with the engine stalling and the engine backfiring is often time caused by a failing fuel pump. When the pump becomes weak it will tend to heat up and when this happens the pressure drops and the engine stalls. In most cases once the pump has had time to cool off the it will usually start and run again till the next event. You can verify if this is the case by installing a fuel pressure gauge and monitor the fuel pressure while the problem is occurring..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much for getting back to us. We are thinking we have water in the gas tank. Do you think this would be possible also. We keep the tank pretty full but of course now down to 3/4 tank. We are in the mountains on vacation. We have had 6 & 8% hills. Going down has been when it stalls. Not sure where the gas comes out of gas tank top or bottom. If it is bottom then this could be the problem? We have an electric fuel pump.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.

It is always possible its water but it pretty doubtful. Usually water will just make the engine run bad and not cause it to stall. I suspect you have an overheating fuel pump, the pressure test will verify if this is the case.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do we install a pressure gauge?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.

You should have a service port located on the fuel injector rail , it looks just like a valve stem and will have a small black cap that you remove, once the cap is removed the gauge screws on to the port stem.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ron, to let you know on this we really felt it was water in the tank. Put in 2 cans of STP & equal amount of mental hydrate & came back over the same mountainous route & not even a hint of a problem. We are going to have the fuel pressure checked as you had suggested. Quick question. I had said a 360 motor & it is a 460. The fuel pump in this 1998 is it part of the fuel tank & all will need to be replaced or individually?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.

The pressure reading I gave you where for the 460 engine, Its the only engine in the 1998 and Ford did not make the 360 since 1976 . The fuel pump is located in the tank as well and if its needed it vcan be replaced seperately from the tank. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.