RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I'm having a problem with the grey water system draining. I…

I'm having a problem with...
I'm having a problem with the grey water system draining. I have a four winds super c moterhome
8/12/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert...
A few things I would check and try. First off make sure the roof vent is clear, the tank should be vented to the roof. Make sure there is nothing under the vent cap and that the ABS piping is at least two inches above the roof line, if the pipe fell back into the tank it would be an issue. Normally on the gray water side you will not have much obstruction unlike the black tank. They do make back flushers that you can hook up to your discharge pipe and it helps clean the area of where the valve is.
I would also verify the valve is opening up, get a coat hangar and run it up the discharge with the gray tank valve closed, mark the coat hangar, then open the valve and make sure the hangar goes further up the pipe if not then the valve might need to be changed out......
Hope this helps some... Robert
I tried all of your suggestions and still have the same problem.
OK
So what happens when you open the dischagre and run water? Is the water backing up into the shower?
No only in kitchen sink.
OK
IF it is only doing it at the kitchen sink I would be looking for another valve outside, sometimes in a RV a galley can have a separate tank and drain valve. I would first look in back of the main discharge pipe and then look outside above the tires or directly under the galley. IT is not very common for the gray water to become blocked normally what happens is the water will back up into the shower first as it is the lowest point. Makes me think you might have another valve.
My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, IF you would like to try another expert please let me know. I only get credit when you select a rating... Robert
There is no valve and I can not think of any reason since I only have one grey & one black water tank. The sink must have a blockage between the kitchen & shower.I tried snaking but maybe I didn't have a long enough snake.
That is possible that the line is obstructed I was thinking the tank was not draining properly. With it only at the kitchen sink it has to be in the piping, to the tank. The only way to get at that is with a snake or trying some type of chemical to see if it will work loose... Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Thanks, ***** ***** I inherited this problem when I bought the motorhome in May.
I can not think of anything else to try....
Let me know if you need more help after trying again...
Robert