Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

None of my lights work on a Forest River Xlr 2012 but work

Customer Question

None of my lights work on a Forest River Xlr 2012 but work when the generator is running and I get no electricity anywhere else in the camper when on the battery my batteries are fully charged and I got electricity going all the way to the battery cutoff switch going back to the panel all electricity DC 12 volts is good
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is Robert....
Do you have a battery cut off switch inside the RV or is it at the battery?
Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's inside. Both side of the switch is hot 12 volts.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
OK
That switch should trigger a solenoid, when you hit the switch you might hear it. What I would do is find the solenoid, if you can not locate it by sound follow the battery cables it will go to it. On the solenoid you should see two LARGE posts, check for power on each side, if you have power on one side and not the other jump the posts and see if your power comes on if so bad solenoid. While you are following the cables make sure you do not have a shortstop style breaker tripped, they will have a small button on them that pop out when they trip.... If you still need more help please let me know.... Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Like I said both sides on the solenoid are showing 12 volts. All is good with the kill switch. Only once did I get a red light once I pulled a fuse. Now no red lights and no power though out the camper
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
OK
Sorry for repeating all that, just wanted to be sure....
Sounds to me the power converter might be at fault, when you are plugged in or have the generator going it takes the AC voltage and makes the DC voltage, it should also charge the battery. When you unplug the converter switches to battery power. I would be checking all the connections in back of the main fuse panel and on the converter. IF you have voltage at the panel and nothing is working then the polarity is not right that would happen if a cable is crossed or wiring issue. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Looked at the inverter no voltage. Shouldn't one of the red wires be hot? Also is the white a hound or is it hot also
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
OK
I believe you should have power at the converter they could be using white for power or ground, normally it is ground but hard to say for sure. What is the make and model of the power converter?
Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Converter. Your right.Wf-8900 series.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

OK

Click HERE for some troubleshooting, I am not sure what else it could be if you have voltage past the disconnect to the fuse panel....

Robert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Up front. Outside on the flat part of the tongue is where. There is a lot of red power lines hooked up in some type of tamdum. Not sure what it's for any ideas
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just ran a wire straight to the red from the battery. Boom it worked. Lights. .. then ran the same wire from the cut off switch. Boom it works. The hot goes from the cut off switch to this odd tamdum thing out side on the flat side of the tongue. After that I'm lost. Don't know what it's called and ran out of light. Any ideas what it might be and what it does?
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Can you send a picture, you should be able to add one into your reply.... Robert