Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a 2002 Mountain Aire by Newmar class A RV. The

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Mountain Aire by Newmar class A RV. The Xantrex RCGS is giving a DCLD Lockout Error how do I fix this?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.

What kind of flashing light are you getting and the sequence? When did you have the batteries serviced last and what size are they and type if you know?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK here's what happened. We last used the RV Sunday night and now it's Tuesday afternoon. I went into the rv the inverter light was flashing green and the error light was still red. Then I started the engine and waited for the remote to come on. When it came on I started the generator. All the lights on the remote went out and the box with words blanked out with no words and flashed on and off. Then the box stopped flashing and came on with words like set the clock and other things it went to fast to catch it all. While this was going on the green inverter came on then went off and lights for charge, full bat came on and the red error button stayed OFF then. I guess it rebooted. Now appears to work fine I am at a loss. When we used it over the week end and got the error everything worked but after a while I noticed the light on the microwave was not on to tell the time so I looked at the remote and checked batteries and they were almost all the way down so I went out to look at the generator and noticed a switch has flipped off and I flipped it back on and the batteries charged back up and everything was fine but still had the red error light on DCLD Lockout Error. Can you explain what this DCLD Lockout is about and if you can figure out what I did to make this happen. Oh by the way the Generac Generator was installed new by previous owner and has 351 hours on it if this info may help. Also if the RV has been sitting for several days even in store mode and you go in and try to start the generator it most always is hard to start so I finally figured out if I start the engine and let it run until the remote comes on usually a couple of minutes then I can start the generator with no problem it fires right up then after a couple of minutes turn the engine off and this works great. My husband is the more mechanical one and driver but I do everything on the inside of the coach like the remote, set the jacks, slide the rooms and set the control panel.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh I did not know if you got my other message about the batteries. The batteries are new just got them put in about 4 months ago. We have only owned the RV for 6 months and did not know about the care of the batteries and during the winter and they froze and so they were replaced by Advance Auto Parts with two new 6 volt batteries. I don't remember the brand but will get that info if you need it. When we first got the RV and after several days of sitting the remote would turn its self off I thought the batteries were dead but like I said above I learned to start the engine and let the remote come on then start the generator and sometimes it would charge some but usually very soon be floating. This has been the most complicated RV I have owned and a challenge learn how everything works and still don't know everything but I love it.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Most of these RVs that have an inverter use four 6 VDC batteries and not just two. YOu just can run two very long before they are too low to do any good and then the inverter "locks out" like you are seeing to avoid any damage to it. IF you have room for more batteries, I would add those. I can help you with the hookup. Be sure you check the water every few weeks when you are using this as they will go dry quickly if you don't. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more later as all follow ups are included in our fee. You can bookmark this and come back to it again any time. R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mine only has two 6 volt batteries and only has room for these two. Also I though everything was powered by the generator when it is running and only used the batteries when there were no other power like generator or engine running. So it my understanding that the generator powers up the batteries and everything runs off the batteries is that right .. just trying to understand this better.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.

Then adding a few solar panels to the roof would help so the batteries are kept fully charged without running the engine or the generator. 150 watts of panels and a charge controller would do that. R.J.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I has a solar panel on the roof but I think the book that came with it says that's to keep the engine battery charged up. You have helped me a lot and thanks. ***** are a learning experience for sure. Would you maybe also know about the water system. The first time I filled the fresh water tank all faucets worked but when it went empty and we refilled it the kitchen faucet won't work but toilet, shower and bath faucet works perfect. My son in law thinks maybe it might have gotten air in it. If so how you get the air out?
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Hook it up to city water and run the taps for some time. Then when you fill the water tank again, you can run it and all should be "aired" out.
And the water heater may be filling again and that takes some time. I would give some serious consideration to adding two more batteries OR another solar panel to keep the batteries up. And you can hook up the engine battery to the charge circuit as well. R.J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to thank you for all the good info you have given me. My son in law has a Prevost older model him and his dad bought almost new and he told me that even after 10 years they were still learning stuff about it. My RV has so many buttons and gadgets that my old RV did not have but I think with people like you helping me I at least know the basics. Again thanks. *****
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome, Cathy..........and a positive rating on my service here would be greatly appreciated as that is the only way I am compensated for my time here. And please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer! Be safe.........R.J.