RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I am having trouble with the rv fridge and freezer. Last

Customer Question
Hi, I am having trouble...
Hi, I am having trouble with the rv fridge and freezer. Last year it was fuse in the outside box, this year i checked the fuse and ok, the light in the fridge doesn't come on, checked the light the bulb is not burned out. Turned on the fright, no issue with check light thought all was good but the fridge is not working, tried gas with no luck. I tried the stove and oven to ensure gas was flowing and this was ok. Even heating system is ok. Please help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
8/9/2015
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

What is the make and model of your fridge? Are you plugged into a power source with the shore cord? IF NOT, the battery may be dead and most of these fridges take 12 VDC power to run. IF you have a small digital multimeter we can do some tests and track this down pretty fast. Let me know what you find on the power and we can go from there. R.J.

Hi Randall, it is 3:02 in morning here I do have multimeter, the trailer is hooked directly to power on my land, battery is not used. Morning is at 7:30, will test a few more things and will send another update.
Thanks Greg
I will watch for your response, Greg.
Hi Randall, I checked a few things but no luck, the fridge won't even click to fire with gas, I am out of ideas.Greg
Model # *****
Prod. No. 921 14 41-22

Even with power available, you should have a battery in the trailer. It functions as a booster with the converter to provide 12 VDC power which most of the appliances need in order to operate properly...........including the LP function on the fridge. Check the DC power AT the battery leads and see if you are getting anything there. And at the rear of the fridge, if you can get to that. Let me know what you find and we can go from there.

Randall, I am hooked up to panel (220) as if I was a house with water and sewer. The batteru has been removed and I have had this RV for 7 years at this location. I have the panel outside of removed.

Is there any 12 VDC to the rear of the fridge? You have to have that in order to get it to start up on LP mode.

Without a battery, you would have to have good DC voltage coming out of the converter and it may have gone south on you here. Any 12 VDC in the trailer at all?

All AC works for lights, fridge, microwave

But what about the 12 VDC? The igniter on the fridge has to have that to operate on LP mode.

I am not sure what you are asking, their is a cord plugged in at the back of the refrigerator

The controls on the fridge ALL need 12 VDC power in order to operate. IF you don't have a battery, then you need to have a converter that is working properly to provide that. Do you see the black control box on the rear of the fridge? There HAS to be 12 VDC coming INTO that in order to allow the fridge to operate IN EITHER mode. I suspect you lost the DC power on the converter. Take your meter and set it for "DC VOLTS" and check to see what you have. Let me know...........

I checked the plug in the back and used my kettle to see if had power, the kettle boiled. Looking at the multimeter nothing says DC Volts

The DC circuits have no "plugs".........only wires coming into the rear of the fridge. There is a power block there where they attach with a screw and the wires out of there..........usually a red and a black or white wire go to the control board on the fridge. Without any 12 VDC power this fridge won't operate in any mode. The display on the front won't light up either. I think you need to replace the converter IF all the fuses check out. There is a power fuse ON the control board for both the AC mode and DC power to the board. You might check both of those to be sure one hasn't blown. I am attaching a link to the Dometic Service Manual which covers this model. Print out a copy for your use. Very helpful and it will show you what I have been talking about. I have to leave for a service call, but will check back in later. R.J.

http://www.nancyemmert.com/region6/Resources/NewDometicRefrigeratorManual.pdf

Ok Randall, the display on the front lights up, I continue to look into your text details.
IF the display lights up on the front, then it IS getting 12 VDC and so the problem may be in the control board OR the igniter assy. Unless you have a later model board which has that ON the board. IF you do need a new board, then you want to get one made by Dinosaur Electronics as they are far superior to the OEM boards and have an outstanding warranty should you ever need it. Were you able to access that repair manual and print it out? Tells you how to test and repair this model. Let me know if you need more on this later........R.J.
I have been reading the manual, thanks for the link
Check the DC fuse on the control board to see if that is bad. And let me know if you have the model with the igniter ON the board or the one where it is a stand alone component. For AC use you want to check the AC fuse on the control board to see if you have AC power IN and OUT of the fuse. IF SO, then the heating element may be bad and you can check the ohms on that as per the manual. Let me know what you find.
Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification