RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I need to replace the glow plugs on my fleetwood 1994 gm

Customer Question
diesel pusher. Looks like one...
I need to replace the glow plugs on my fleetwood 1994 gm diesel pusher. Looks like one side is not to bad but the other side looks like a total pain. Worst part is that only a few inches from the glow plugs are big support beams.
There has to be a smart way to do it without removing a bunch of parts ?
Maybe to would be helpful to have a knuckle coupler on the wrench?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
8/7/2015
RV Mechanic: spankyjr1, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, RV Mechanic
Hi, my name is ***** ***** you for your question.
Sorry for long delay.
I'm not sure what you mean by a knuckle coupler it may be called something else could you please describe?
What I use is a crows foot line wrench, with a swivel extension and socket wrench.
From your complaint shorter cycles of glow plug light is usually caused by shorted glow plugs so you are changing the correct parts.
When glow plugs are shorted the time they are on gets lower and lower just like you are having issues with.
I also like to spray Blaster around glow plugs and let it soak for a hour or more before trying to remove,,keep spraying while you are getting everything together the longer it has time to work the better.
You also want to use never seize on the threads of new glow plugs before installing.after plugs are out use blaster to clean plug bores before installing new ones,,crank engine over before installing new ones just in case you use to much you don't want to much on top of piston it can lock up engine,,make sure you put some rags over holes while cranking over.
The deposit you placed will NOT credit me for my work unless you Rate my performance.
You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating...
Thanks
spanky
Hi I'm just following up to see if you were satisfied with my answer.
Please keep in mind that even though you have already paid your deposit money
over to JustAnswer, or you may be a subscriber, until you rate me highly for my service,
I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.
Thanks
spanky
spankyjr1
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, RV Mechanic