RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I have a Keystone Passport Ultalight Grand Touring, 2850 RL

Customer Question
with a slide out....
I have a Keystone Passport Ultalight Grand Touring, 2850 RL with a slide out. This morning as I was preparing to leave for a 2 week vacation, the slide out will not operate. No sound from the motor. There is no light on in the fuse panel indicating a fuse is blown. What can I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
8/2/2015
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Are you plugged into shore power? Did you check to see if the battery(s) were fully charged? How long has it been since you used this last? And do you know who made the slide hardware on your trailer? That would help here. You should have a manual on this that came with the trailer.

Please get back to me with this information and I can assist you further. R.J.

the shore power cord is plugged in. The batteries are fully charged, indicator light indicates a full charge and the trailer has been plugged in for 2 days. Last use the trailer in mid June. I have all the manuals that came with the trailer, we bought it new, but can not see anything about who made the slide hardware.

Any name on the switch? And do you have a small digital multimeter so we can take some voltage readings?

And this may have tripped out a shortstop breaker which is usually up by the battery. They usually have a reset button on the side that can be pushed in to reset them. Go to the link below and see what they look like. http://www.solar-electric.com/30and50ampdc.html#

http://www.wiringproducts.com/images/stories/virtuemart/category/resized/type-3-right-angle_200x200.jpg

Another link that shows the reset button. Let me know what you find and we can go from there.

No name on the switch. I have an analog multimeter. I am checking on the shortstop breaker

That will work............check the line OUT of the breaker. If no power, check the reset button. Push in to reset it.

Some are mounted underneath and not easily seen..............

found two shortstop breakers mounted on the frame of the trailer near the batteries. Covered with an orange rubber protector. No sign of a reset button on either.

You may have to pull the cover back to see them. Some are on the top and some on the side. Small black button. Auto reset units have no button. Test them both to see if there is power OUT of them. Auto reset units go bad sometimes.

Checked both shortstops, both have voltage coming out

Next I would check for power INTO and OUT of the switch. You will need to rig up a ground lead to your meter OR you can use a 12 VDC test light.

That will tell you which way to go............

Took out 2 screws that hold the slide room switch to the panel in the bedroom. Wire is extremely short, can't get the switch more than an inch away from the panel. Switch appears to have a black plug on the back. Does this detach from the switch itself. It appears to have 6 contacts
Got the switch farther out. It has 5 wires.
Separated the switch from the wire plug

That shows this is a Lippert slide unit and the power INTO the switch comes into the center pins. That switch reverses the polarity when you move the slide the other direction. Here, a test light is usually handier for testing the switch for power as you can reach the leads without disconnecting them. You still need a ground lead hookup.

Were there two leads on the center pins?

The plug has 3 wires in the right side and 2 on the left

Power into the switch should be the center pin with the three, but you can test them to be sure. Can you find a good ground close by?

Usually, if the switch goes bad, it is only in one direction. I suspect that there is no power into it. Once you narrow that down you can try to find out where the breaker or fuse is for that circuit. Check the breaker panel and see if they have one labeled there.

There is 12 volts to the contact on the bottom right, the side of the plug with 3 wires. It is the red wire going into the plug

Then you may have lost the ground to the circuit. Try to hook up the plug again and see if you can track power OUT on two wires when you push the switch both "IN" and "OUT"...........and if you can, then the ground may be bad. Any of those leads white?

Continuity between hot connector (bottom right) and center connector when switch is in IN position. Continuity between hot connector and top connector on left side when switch is in OUT position
Will try to see if I can find power out on 2 wires

So, either the motor took a powder which rarely happens OR the ground lead isn't making a complete circuit. The two lead you DIDN"T check should be the ground leads for both "IN" and "OUT" but in most cases, there are 6 leads and not just 5. The ground leads are "switched" as well as the power leads. Several ways to do this, however. Can you access the motor assy from underneath?

I get 12 volts on each of the 4 leads when the switch is in the IN and the OUT position
I believe the motor assembly is mounted to the side of the trailer above the slide out. I can see it but can't get to it because of the depth of the slide out.

It sounds to me like the switch is bad............I have never seen one where all the leads would be positive both in and out. Nobody has been messing with the wiring? Any chance that rats or squirrels have gotten into this?

It is a cable system

4 cables with one at each corner? That would be a BAL Accuslide product.

4 cables , 1 in each corner

Are you sure that you can't hear any motor humming when you move the switch? Those units can strip the gearbox out and not make hardly any noise when you hit the switch, even though the motor is running

The motor should be above the slide room in the middle.

No sound from the motor at all. Yes it is located in the center of the trailer wall(inside) when the slide out is located

See the link below for the manual on this slide room. Print out a copy if you can.

http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/towablelanding/slideouts/Norco/accuslide_service-manual.pdf

The camper is stored outside in the summer and we have squirrels but there is no sign of chewing or droppings anywhere in the camper or outside.
Thanks for the manual

I have not seen many of these, but this may have a controller and if so, it may be the problem OR it may have a fuse on it like the ones that Power Gear systems have. You may have to contact BAL or Keystone in order to find that out. I am only here on Weekends as I run a shop and don't have time during the week. At this point, I should probably opt out and let another tech take over so you can get some assistance. Good job on both the work and describing what you found! Better than most for sure! I will keep an eye out on this and will be curious to see what the problem was. R.J.

You might give Norco a call at(###) ###-####and ask them about the controller and wiring. Thanks for the positive feedback! R.J.

I ended up taking the unit to the dealer. The issue was wear on the wiring harness between the fuse panel and the switch. Thanks for the help.

Kind of unusual..........and thanks for letting me know! Please come back again next time you have an issue. R.J.

gene
gene
gene, RV Mechanic