gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

I have a 1988 georgie boy motor home i was driveing the motor

Customer Question

i have a 1988 georgie boy motor home i was driveing the motor home ran fine but i had the ignition key on working on the back up lights for inspection and after i got the lights working i tried to start the motor home and had no spark i replaced the coil cap and rotor and still no spark
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Can you check for power out of the load center with a small digital multimeter? It may be a bad key switch or you may have blown a fuse when working on the lights. Check those and get back to me. I will be up for another 30 minutes or so. R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i already checked all the fuses with a test light im not sure how to check the key switch
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
You should be able to check and see if you are getting power into and out of the key switch with your test light. When the key switch is on you will have power into the fuses and when you turn the key it energizes the ignition section and starter. As key switches age they wear and sometimes that portion won't work . The "fix" that is easiest would be to install a push button style and use that for the starter. Look under the hood section and see if you have a box there. And be sure you just don't have the battery disconnect in the "store" position so that no power is available from the batteries. Some of those have fuses that you can check as well. Let me know what you find. And a small multimeter is more helpful here as it will show the actual voltage you have. About $15 or so at most automotive stores or Sears. Very handy!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a multimeter and I turned the ignition on and crossed the starter relay still no spark
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have power to the coil and motor turns over when I turn ignition could it be pick up coil in distributor
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Sorry.......I didn't realize that it would turn over and just not start. Take a spark plug lead off and see if you are getting spark. That may take another set of hands. If so, you may not be getting fuel. That could be the fuel pump relay or the pump itself. That is a more common problem as these age. Does this have a carb or is it fuel injected. I don't usually do engine issues, so I can opt out of this if you want someone who has done more in this area. Just let me know...........R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have fuel and I checked spark plug wires no spark
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
I will go ahead and opt out of this and let another tech assist you. I have to go to work shortly and won't be available until this evening. I will let another tech know you are waiting. I will keep an eye on this later. R.J.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Which chassis is this built on? I have a contact who is good with these older units I can ask........
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
john deere chassis
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Is this ignition electronic or points and condenser? GM or Ford or Dodge motor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
electronic ignition and its ford
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
I will check with my friend again and see if he can offer anything. It may be a few hours before I can get back to you as I have to go out on a Service Call this morning.