RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2006 Monaco Windsor. I don't have any AC power to…

I have a 2006 Monaco...
I have a 2006 Monaco Windsor. I don't have any AC power to the coach. I had it connected to a 20 amp circuit when it lost power. Connected it to a 50 amp circuit and still no power. Started the generator and still no power.
7/29/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert..
The problem could be at the transfer switch if you have no AC power at all. What I would try is shut off all the breakers, go unplug from power. IF you have an inverter check the breakers on it, most inverters have two breakers on them, shut the inverter down. Plug back in, turn the breakers ON and then restart the inverter and see if power is restored.
IF not then have to find the Transfer Switch and see if AC power is going in and out of the switch, if you have power going in and nothing coming out is has failed... Sometimes the TS is in a box next to the shore cord, in an outside compartment or inside the RV, for the TS power will go to the breaker panel and inverter... Hope this helps, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert
Also be sure the breakers on the gen are not tripped.
Tried shutting everything down with no result. What is the best way to test the transfer switch?
On a 50 amp service you will have two hot legs coming into the transfer switch you want to make sure you have AC voltage in and out of the switch. IF you have voltage coming in and nothing coming out is has failed.... Robert
Robert: I have 120vac on the red and black wires coming in and nothing going out which indicates a bad transfer switch. My only concern yet is there is 120 vac on the generator side without the generator running.
OK
So you are saying when you are hooked up to shore power you are getting AC voltage on the generator side? This really is sounding like the transfer switch has failed. Both the gen and shore cord share this connection point, from there it would go to the breaker panel. I think I would replace the transfer switch if you do not have any loose disconnected wires at the switch. You could bypass it as well, just disconnect the generator side, if that started it would be big problems so you want to isolate the generator.... Hope this helps. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Robert: I just went to swap out the transfer switch and I noticed that the lid that the diagram was on is backwards and there is voltage going to the panel wiring and when I start the generator it does switch but I still don't have any voltage to the coach.
OK
Go to the inverter and shut it off, make sure the breakers on it are not tripped,restart the inverter. Some AC power will go through the inverter and the rest to the main breaker panel so if you are getting AC voltage in and out of the TS you should be getting AC power at the inverter and main breaker panel....
How do I turn off the inverter? there are what look like 3 circuit breakers, 2 of them I can push on and off but the 3rd one is in farther than the other 2 and doesn't seem to do anything. Also there seems to be an on/off switch that doesn't do anything.
Should have two breakers on it.... The inverter should have an on off switch and you should be able to turn it off at the inverter if it is on..... Not sure why it will not shut down. I am going to look in your manual and if I see anything that stands out to me I will let you know.... Robert
OK
So I did take a look and that is a third breaker on the side of the inverter, while I was looking I also saw you have an energy management system. I have never got to involved with them but it could also be a cause for no AC power, below are the details on that....
Energy Management:
The 50 Amp Smart EMS automatically senses the available power to the motorhome, determining whether
it is connected to a 120 Volt AC - 30 Amp shore power source, 50 Amp shore power source or generator
source. Depending upon available power, the EMS controls the operation of 6 possible loads as indicated on
the distribution panel. These may be any type load, but are typically heavier loads; those whose use can be
“postponed until a time when current is available for use. If the available power source is 120 Volt AC - 30 Amp
shore power, the EMS attempts to keep the total 120 Volt current draw to less than 30 Amps.
Operation:
If 120 Volt AC is not available at the distribution panel, L1 or L2 outputs, the system shuts itself off. This
feature is intended to prevent the system from drawing current from the +12 Volt DC battery supply when not in
operation. When 120 Volt AC power is applied, the system automatically powers up and determines the nature of
the power source.
If the generator is running, 120 Volt AC will be present at the distribution panel L1 and L2 inputs. In this
mode the energy management feature is disabled and all control relay contacts are closed, energizing all of the
controlled loads. The control module sends a signal to the display panel causing the load meter to display actual
load current, the GEN SET service indicator to light and all power status indicators to light.
If 120 Volt AC is present at the distribution panel L1 and L2 inputs, the system will assume that 120 Volt AC,
30 Amp shore power is available and the energy management feature will be enabled. If only 20 Amp service is
available the user must select the 20 AMP service mode by momentarily pressing the 20/30 Amp select switch
on the Control Panel. Initially, all relay contacts are closed and the total current is monitored. If the total current
should exceed the service limit the system will turn off the first load in the shedding table, turning the loads off
and calculating the amount of current that was removed, which is the value for that load. This value is placed in
memory. If the current remains above the service limit, the system will turn off the next load in shedding table,
again calculating the amount of current that was removed and placing this value, which is the value of that load,
in memory. The system continues to turn off loads until the total current falls below the service limit or all of
the six controlled loads have been shed. Through this process the system has “learned” the amount of current
that each particular load draws. This feature compensates for the differences in current draw over a range of line
voltage and ambient temperature, by re-learning the load each time it is turned off or “shed.”
The 50 Amp Smart EMS now waits until the total current is lower than the service limit and enough current is
available (as compared with the amount in memory for the last load shed) before turning that load back on. This
assures that there is sufficient current to operate the load.
The energy management system is telling me it is connected to a 50 amp circuit which is correct and all circuits are available. When I start the generator it goes to generator and all circuits are available. The 30 amp circuit breaker on the inverter doesn't look like the two 20 amp breakers but it is in which I assume is okay. The inverter is working. When I start the generator each circuit comes on one at a time which is telling me that we're getting power that far. This coach is new to me but I don't think I'm overlooking anything. I had voltage when I left it at night and no voltage in the morning.
OK
One breaker is a different size on the inverter.
I also do not think you are overlooking anything. What I might do is get a hold of Monaco and see if they have any input on this before taking it to the shop, they do have a parts, service and technical support number. I have heard positive comments from other owners that needed to call in... They can be reached at 877....466...6226...
IF you would like to try another expert please let me know, I only get credit when you select a rating... Robert