Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Experience:  Serving the rv industry since 1977
10974363

We're living full time in our new Thor Outlaw and had been

Customer Question

We're living full time in our new Thor Outlaw and had been at the same place for about 3.5 weeks. This is our first RV, so we have a lot to learn. Two days ago we realized that the engine won't start, the inverter/converter is dead, and the generator also won't start. Are they related? The emergency start does nothing and we've checked the breakers on the chassis battery and generator, but they seem fine. Other than having it towed to a service center, is there anything we can do?
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 2 years ago.
Hi, it appears that both your engine and house batteries are dead, have you been plugged in with your shoreline? the engine battery starts the motor, the house batteries start the generator, and feed the internal coach 12volt circuits, do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We've been plugged since we got to the site and don't have a volt meter. The last time I turned on the engine battery (to check the mileage) was 11 days ago.
Hi, at this point you can jump the engine battery with your car/truck, and take it to the dealer. we need to do testing on the system to determine why this happened
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We'll try jumping it first. The only jumper cables we have on hand are from a Stanley jump starter unit (says 1000 peak amp). Will that work?
Yes that should be fine........get it started , and let it run a bit
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also, the shore power got tripped some days before we realized everything was dead. We reset the shore power, but I think we forgot to turn the inverter back on. Do you think that's related?
the shorepower thru the inverter charges the house batteries, so this can be relative to whats happening. Unless there was a breaker thrown on the inverter, the charging circuit should have been working, thats where the voltmeter comes in handy, as then we can see exactly what it is producing.... The engine battery will be another issue
Hi, I hav'nt heard from you for a bit, can I be of more assistance? thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We are learning how to jump the battery since we've never had to do that :-) newbies all the way. Can I shoot you a message if that is not successful? Thanks.
Thanks, ***** ***** sure you put the cables on the engine battery pos/pos neg/neg I will be here if you need further assistance, please take this time to rate me so I receive credit for our work together, thanks Michael