How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hank F. Your Own Question
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Category: RV
Satisfied Customers: 14921
Experience:  RV tech since the beginning of the millenium.
19372534
Type Your RV Question Here...
Hank F. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Emerald I generator in my 1988 Honey motor home, !

Customer Question

I have a Emerald I generator in my 1988 Honey motor home, ! have modified the RV ro be handicap accessable. I added a extra battery for the 12 volt wheel chair lift and a power invertor for a 110 volt lift chair so I don't have to run the generator accept when AC is needed. Last week on a weekend outing running the generator for AC the invertor faulted. I checked battery voltage for the camper and added battery it was 18.3 volts. Then I plugged the 30 amp power cord for the camper into a camp pad outlet and with the generator shut down and unplugged I had 13.2 volts at the batteries. The model # ***** ***** BGE-1R 26100C; SERIAL #6870908293. Does the generator have a 12 Volt DC regulator or a transformer to reduce 110 AC voltage to 12 DC voltage? I have no manuals on the generator as just bought the camper 2 years ago.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this. Your unit actually has a battery charge circuit in it, separate from the AC output.If your battery charge system is putting out 18VDC, there is definitely a problem. It is most likely that the charge resistor has gone bad.The first thing you need to do, though, is to check the AC output to see what kind of voltage you are getting. If it is too high, something definitely needs to be done. But if the AC voltage is good, I would suggest simply disabling the battery charge circuit, as it is not needed. The coach converter will keep the battery charged. The newer gensets don't have a battery charge circuit at all, due to that fact.