RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I have a duo therm #600315.331. Installed approximately 7

Customer Question
I have a duo therm...
I have a duo therm #600315.331. Installed approximately 7 yrs ago. The fan operates and it sounds like the compressor attempts to start but does not. so no cool air.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
7/18/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert...
This sounds like it could be a capacitor or compressor issue if it is trying to start, you should have two capacitors on the AC unit, they will be under the top side shroud, I would inspect them and make sure the wires are not burnt on them, many times when they fail they will burn up the wires on them. You do need to be very careful around them as they store energy and can give you a jolt if they are not discharged and you touch across the posts. Below is a service manual for you that will have some testing, it covers all models. Copy and paste that into your browser, it should help some... IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...
Link...
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/acservice.pdf
And if the wire are not burnt does that indicate the compressor has failed?
I have switched the connection on the ckt. breakers. I have 2 ac units. The front ac worked fine after switching so I assume it is not a low voltage condition.
So I am clear when you switched the circuit breakers did the unit work or not? That was good to do to eliminate the source.... You really need to go through the troubleshooting, if the compressor is trying to start from my experience it could be a bad capacitor and I would replace both of them....
My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts IF you would like to try another expert please let me know, I only get credit when you select a rating....
After switching ckt. breakers the rear unit still did not cool and the symptoms were the same. My front ac works as normal so I assume the voltage to the rear is the correct voltage.
OK
wanted to be sure. To start on this I would do an inspection of all the wiring and capacitors, make sure where the AC wiring ties in at the AC unit everything is tight and no loose connections. The fault is going to be with the capacitors, compressor or circuit board. IF the unit is trying to come on it tells me the board is supplying voltage to the capacitors and compressor. Capacitors do fail and that is what I would look at first.... Hope this helps.... Robert
I will go up and look under the shroud.
OK
I would arm your self with some wasp spray, they like to make nests under the shroud, also the capacitors might be contained in a small square box so I would bring a flat head screw driver, 1/4", 5/16" nut driver just in case......
Robert
I checked and none of the wires on the capacitors none look burnt or discolored on either capacitor.
OK
This might not be a simple fix and you are going to have to follow the troubleshooting steps in the manual that I sent. IF you are not comfortable doing that and do not have a volt meter I would let a shop diagnose, the labor time is about 1 hour to go through all the checks. I am not a fan of throwing parts at these but I would have to say the most likely cause is the capacitors, they do not burn up the wires all the time but can.
My goal is for you to be satisfied, IF you would like to try another expert please let me know, I only get credit when you select a rating... Robert
I guess that will be my only option.
The only way to troubleshoot is with a meter and you need to be careful of what you touch, the manual outlines the testing that needs to be done for the capacitors and compressor.
My goal is for you to be satisfied, if you are please select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping... Robert
Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic