Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Experience:  Serving the rv industry since 1977
10974363

I have a 1997 Norcold 982. It runs well on AC. On LP, it

Customer Question

hi. i have a 1997 Norcold 982. It runs well on AC. On LP, it runs random times...maybe an hour maybe 4 hours and stops. It shows code A1. It will restart manually and run again till it stops. I have checked 12v power...good, new batteries. Propane is full and water heater and furnace run fine. I have cleaned the burner with carb cleaner and compressed air out of unit. Still does same.
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 2 years ago.
Hi, there are some testing procedures I want you to try, below is a link to the service manual for your refer go to page 16 section 2, and run down the list of checks, please tell me what you find out, thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ive done all 13 items. It starts fine, even cycles on and off as it should. At random lengths of time from an hour to 8 hours, it just does not refire. It immediately relites manually. Could the electrical switch that turns gas on/off valve be sticking? If im listening when it goes off, I can hear the lighter fireing, but not lighting. Again, If I push the mode button, it lights immediately . Im assuming the little box with the two wires running to the power board and in the gas line is this switch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When it shuts off, and after the igniter tries a few times to relight, it beeps and throws code A1.
I would agree that the internal switch that relights it is intermittent, unfortunately that is a function of the control board, as when you manually light it you are resetting the board, and the issue is in the bypass circuit for re ignition..........
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so i need to replace the switch....power board....?
the power board needs to be replaced..........Michael