Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

We have a keystone vr1 229rls year 2008. We had it winterized

Customer Question

We have a keystone vr1 229rls year 2008. We had it winterized at the dealership where we purchased it. We bought it last year. We have no hot water. Please help.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
Many times you have to go to the opposite side of the outside access panel and look for some valves, so you need to see the back of the water heater, sometimes you have to pull a panel or drawer inside. Many will have three valves, a hot, cold and bypass. The hot and cold should be open, or valve handle running with the pipe and the bypass closed or valve handle running against the pipe.
IF the water coming out the pressure relief is hot then I would look for the valves, IF they are in the proper position please let me know.... Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am calling my niece to ask this. Please sit tight.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
OK
Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You can't really get to the water heater. I saw in the book that there was a bypass something. Would this be under the kitchen sink?
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Need to go opposite of the outside access panel and have a look, normally they are right on the back of the water heater, a panel or drawer might need to come off.... Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will probably need to look at this in the morning. It is in another town from me. Is the panel hard to remove?
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Normally all you need is a screw driver to get any panels out, so directly inside from the outside access panel is where you want to look, you want to see the lines on the back of the water heater....
Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When we looked today there were no values at the outside panel so it has to be under the kitchen sink. There is a panel there that comes out. We took it out but did not see any values. As you can tell I am clueless but I need to get them hot water.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Anything
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
I can put your question back up for other experts, normally you have to see the back of the water heater to get to the valves. Maybe another expert will have some input on this.... Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Larry Welch replied 2 years ago.
Larry here, I saw this post and maybe I can add to your insight if you still need it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We got the water to the heater and it is coming out if the hot water faucet. But it is not not.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
OK
What is the make and model of the water heater and is the water in the water heater hot? IF you pull up on the pressure relief is the water VERY hot?
Thanks, Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not at the camper now. I will have to let you know.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good, try running it on LP and see what happens.
It is really important to know if the water is getting hot in the tank. Also while you are there make sure if you have an outdoor sprayer the valves are shut, I have seen some where if they are left open the hot and cold can mix.
Some water heaters have a hot water mixing valve but that is only one particular model so important to know the make and model...
Thanks, Robert