peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

I have an Onan generator in an 87 Winnebago RV with 130 hours

Customer Question

I have an Onan generator in an 87 Winnebago RV with 130 hours on it. It will start but only runs if I hold the switch. The shoreline socket and junction box under the dinette seat only show 60 volts. Also, it blows the fuses after a couple start attempts.
Category: RV
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.
This sounds like the generator itself may be shorting out internally causing the issues here.I would have the wiring checked to the generator to see if any shorts are found and if this is all found to be o.k. I would have the generator itself tested by someone that has the correct diagrams for it and test equipment to see if it needs repaired or replaced.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think it was already checked for a short but will double check. Thank you.I am about ready to find a qualified Onan repair facility.
Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help above if you like.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will be doing further checking next week.Thank you!
Your welcome.Let me know what you come up with here and feel free to rate my help above if you like.
Thanks Pete