RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I have a 1997 Chevrolet damon challenger and have lost 12V

Customer Question
hi I have a 1997...
hi I have a 1997 Chevrolet damon challenger and have lost 12V power suddenly, have it when hooked up to mains. have changed solenoids, new batteries in checked fuses in fuse panel what else should we check, we did find a dodgy 12V plug could it have blown something, where would there be trip/fuse switches
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
7/9/2015
RV Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 2 years ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.
This may be a fault with the circuit panel with the inverter as I have seen this fail in some cases and cause issues like this here.If this has not been checked or tested this should be done to see if this is the cause here and replaced if found to be at fault.This will need to be tested by a technician with the proper diagrams and test tools.
Thanks Pete
Hi Pete, thanks for your reply, do you mean the 12V converter panel? We are in the UK the motorhome has an inverter that converts 240 to 110 etc and would appear to be working as the 12V lights work when hooked up to mains. Then there appears to be a charger then the converter box with fuses. As we want to use the RV wild camping the 12V needs to work again. It was all fine until we tried out the 12V TV which turned out to have a broken plug in, and we suspected it tripped a circut breaker, but for the life of us cannot find one anywhere. The motorhome is a chevrolet Damon 321 challenger. Jackie
The bad plug on the tv may have shorted out the circuit panel itself damaging it.I don't have the info on where it is located on your model here and I apologize for that but I would have it checked/tested to see if it is the cause needing replaced.
Thanks Pete
Ok we shall check that next and see what happens do have suspicion of that also, guess it is elimination and eventually hope to find the problem Jackie
Sounds good.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help above if you like.
Thanks Pete
Not 100 % sure it would be that panel as the 12V system is working when hooked up on Mains supply we still tracing the battery wiring to find a circut breaker or fuse elsewhere. It is a slight frustration as in these RV's when we check forums these things are hidden away in weird places. Does the secondary positive lead from the leisure batteries go to the converter fuse box?
Unfortunately I don't have the diagrams or locations on this model here so its hard to say for sure where it leads or how the converter fuse panel receives its power.This is best checked/tested by someone that has the proper wiring diagram for this model here.
This may be a broken or damaged wire that isn't feeding power properly to a fuse panel as well.
Thanks Pete
peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician