RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Right side Break Light/Blinker has no power

Customer Question
Ford F450 2001 cases (Motor...
Ford F450 2001 cases (Motor home)
Status: Right blinker blinks fast (like dead bulb) and the front right blinker works.
Tested: Wire all the way from the break to the connection right under the driver seat works.
I have a ford F450 2001 chasse Motor home (Fleetwood Tioga). The back right tail light (Break & Blinkers) isn't working anymore.
For a few months it wasn't very bright, and when I plugged in a trailer it was less bright. I have a background in electronics so I'm good at troubleshooting electronics (IT's what I do for a living on Industrial Automation) but I don't have a diagram of how the brake lights are wired.
Ok so I followed the break light wire (green wire) all the way to the engine capartment where it was part of a huge connector that had a bolt to retain it. I tested both sides of the connector and still no power. All the while I was also testing the right signal to make sure my tester was working and I had a good ground.
I checked all the fuses in the system and they tested good.
I couldn't test each relay as I'm not sure if they are part of the circuit or not.
The front Right Light is working and I'm thinking a bit about wiring the wire directly to the front right light but I'm expecting that the blink rate will still be quite fast.
I disconnected the break/blinker light and tested all the wires again (incase of a short in the back) and didn't find anything. I tried replacing the blinker and this blinker box is used for both left and right and it works. Replacing it didn't make any difference.
I assume that where ever the front right and back right blinker/break light is all connected together is what's broken and I'm not sure where/what that is. I'd appreciate any help!
Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/rv-motorhome/96eph-maybe.html#ixzz3f1ElKEkX
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
Real Question: Right side Break Light/Blinker has no power
Ford F450 2001 cases (Motor home)
Tested: Wire all the way from the break to the connection right under the driver seat works.I have a ford F450 2001 chasse Motor home (Fleetwood Tioga). The back right tail light (Break & Blinkers) isn't working anymore.For a few months it wasn't very bright, and when I plugged in a trailer it was less bright. I have a background in electronics so I'm good at troubleshooting electronics (IT's what I do for a living on Industrial Automation) but I don't have a diagram of how the brake lights are wired.Ok so I followed the break light wire (green wire) all the way to the engine capartment where it was part of a huge connector that had a bolt to retain it. I tested both sides of the connector and still no power. All the while I was also testing the right signal to make sure my tester was working and I had a good ground.I checked all the fuses in the system and they tested good.
I couldn't test each relay as I'm not sure if they are part of the circuit or not.The front Right Light is working and I'm thinking a bit about wiring the wire directly to the front right light but I'm expecting that the blink rate will still be quite fast.I disconnected the break/blinker light and tested all the wires again (incase of a short in the back) and didn't find anything. I tried replacing the blinker and this blinker box is used for both left and right and it works. Replacing it didn't make any difference.I assume that where ever the front right and back right blinker/break light is all connected together is what's broken and I'm not sure where/what that is. I'd appreciate any help!
Answered in 6 days by:
7/10/2015
RV Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 2 years ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.
If you haven't checked to see if all bulbs are good and are the correct part number bulbs in each socket I would start with this to see if this points out the fault here.
Thanks Pete
Pete,
I did check all bulbs.
O.k.,with my info being limited on this model I will have to see if anyone else can help more.I will have to open this question up for others here to see if they can assist further on this as someone else here may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.
Thanks Pete
peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician