RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I have an Onan 7.5KW RV generator in my 2005 TropiCal which

Customer Question
we purchased new. It has...
I have an Onan 7.5KW RV generator in my 2005 TropiCal which we purchased new. It has been fine until this years after winter (inside) storage. When I tried to start it it didn't pre heat or turn over. The code I read on the switch is # ***** which I am told is the invertor in the unit has failed. Is it possible to reset the invertor or do you have any idea what all of a sudden would be causing this to happen when it has been fine to this point. The hours on the unit are at 146. I'm also told to replace this invertor the part alone is in the $2K range plus labor. Any ideas ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
7/2/2015
RV Mechanic: Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets replied 2 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Hello!
My name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
What is the full model number of the genset, exactly as it is written on the data label?
.
Hello Hank, I don't have that right here. The RV is stored at a different location. I'll have to go there tomorrow and get that for you.
Hello Hank, The model # *****: 7.5HDKAJ11451H Spec: H
Serial # : K040711589 62.5 Amps 120 Volts 60Hz
Options: RO86-2 B402-1 A223-1 PO90-1 SPEC-H 7-5HDKAJ Pf:1
Code 46 is Inverter Power Supply Fault.
It is set when not enough battery voltage is getting to the unit.
The first thing you need to do is to have your batteries tested. Do not rely on a voltmeter or battery charger to tell you if your batteries are good or not, as even a bad battery can read fully charged, but not have enough amperage to do any work.
If the batteries are good, or if you have to replace them and the gen still will not start, then check the battery cable connections at the genset. Pay special attention to the ground cable, and where it attaches to the frame of the coach.
If the cables are good, and you have good voltage to the genset, then the inverter will be at fault.
Unfortunately, yes, it will run you about $2,000 plus installation.
.
Hello Hank, Thanks for your info. I did find another person you helped thru just answer with the same # ***** code on his generator which is the same unit as mine. You suggested trying to reset the fault by disconnecting the positive cable at the genset for about 10 minutes. FYI the chassis on the coach did go bad (Factory Defective) during winter storage this year. Coach batteries stayed fine as I leave the coach plugged in and the coach batteries are charged via the coach inverter. New chassis batteries were put in and are fine voltage wise. Should trying to reset the fault be tried before purchasing a new inverter which I'm told is a part of the control box for the genset. I'm hopeful with what you told the other person may be my problem. The man who is diagnosing it did not know about resetting anything on the genset. He did find power to the harness at the genset end of plug to invertor (control box). However is it possible with this having happened that the fault rest may work? This unit has NOT been submerged or subject to water exposure at all since we purchased it new in 2005. Please tell me what you think. Thanks, ***** *****
s
Me again, sorry in my response I meant to say the Chassis Batteries did go bad as they were factory defective. Sorry.
It never hurts to try a reset. You can't do any harm.
But the rest really only worked on some of the older versions of the genset - not on the newer ones.
.
Was this what you wanted to know?
.
Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets