RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My 12 volt system does operate unless it plugged in with the…

my 12 volt system does...
my 12 volt system does operate unless it plugged in with the 110 AC power. When I disconnect 110 power nothing in the trailor operates. The slide out operates and the jacks also operate. I have checked the fuses but all seem to be operable
6/30/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert...
What is the Year, Make and Model of the RV?
Robert
2011 Sundance 28 foot 5th wheel. Everything works when plugged into 110 ac but when not plugged in only jacks, slide out, and awning operates
OK
When you are plugged into power the power converter takes the incoming AC voltage and makes the DC voltage, it should also charge the battery, when you unplug the converter will switch to battery power, so you could have a faulty converter. Sometimes they will use a shortstop style breaker on the cable from the converter to the battery. As a general rule if you had one it would be 18" from the battery and could be on the frame, the breaker would have two posts on it and many have a small tab on the side of them that pops out when they trip. The other items are wired direct to the battery and not on the converter circuit. So if you do not see a breaker near the battery then I suspect the converter is not switching over to battery power.... IF you have disconnect switch inside near the entry door please let me know.... Robert
There is not a disconnect near the door that I am aware of. So the awning, slide out, and jacks only work on 12 volt. The rest of the utilities operate through the converter.....is that correct?
Correct, so if you were to remove all the cables the slide-room, jacks and awning would not work as they are wired direct to the battery. All the other items are fed through the converter. I wanted to make sure you did not have a disconnect as it could be something else.... Robert
Thanks. So it looks like I need a new converter on 4 year old Trailor. Is that something I could replace or better to have dealership replace?
The converter will be part of the main fuse/breaker panel or stand alone and plug into an outlet. The stand alone types are easy to replace compared to the ones built into the breaker panel. IF you have the plug in style with easy access then I would replace it, make sure the batteries are disconnected. IF yours is part of the main breaker/fuse panel I would let a shop do the repair, plus you will get a warranty on the converter.... Hope this helps, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit... Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
robert I consulted at RV dealership technician and explained situation to him. He does not believe I would need a new converter because when the system is plugged into 110 power all the 12 volt operations work correctly. It is only when disconnected that lights, pump, etc. do not operated. He believes that there is a disconnect between the batteries and the converter. He said the jacks, slide out, and awning were directly wired from batteries and not through converter. Basically he said if the converter was malfunctioning then none of the remaining 12 volt accessories would operate when plugged into 110 power.
OK
I would recheck near the battery for a shortstop style breaker on one of the cables, or an inline fuse. Sometimes they will put one on that cable from the converter. IF you had a disconnect switch it could be inside near the entry step, above it, on a monitor panel. Also some RVS would have a manual disconnect right at the battery.
Might want to also find the converter and if it is a stand alone style that plugs into an outlet check the fuses on it, most will have two..... Robert
Thanks. I'll check