RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Any experience with atwood helium fridges not cooling?

Customer Question
any experience with atwood helium fridges not cooling?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
I bought a "new" scratch and dent with no warranty but it has never worked. Both 12v and 110v power are fine, gas is fine, unit gurgles, no trouble lights come on but unit will not even try to cool and freezer area feels warm.
Atwood Model HE-0601
6/30/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert...
These HE units act on the same principal as the Norcolds and Dometics. They all have cooling units and are an absorption style fridge. The Atwood uses helium to circulate unlike the others. The cooling unit could be blocked on this if it is gurgling, that is a sign that the helium is not circulating properly. Also normally if you get no cooling on both AC and gas and everything appears normal the cooling unit could the issue.. To me it sounds like the cooling unit.... Hope this helps... Robert
You I indicated a possible bad cooling unit but you stated no next step I to rectify the possible issue.
What is the Year of the RV? This is a newer style fridge and might be under warranty.... Robert
It's a 2014 but came with no factory warranty only a 90 day from the company who sold it.
OK
I would feel the back of the fridge where the coils are and see if they are warm from top to bottom, if they are cool or you have any very hot spots then the cooling unit would be suspect.
My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, IF you would like to try another expert please let me know, I only get credit when you select a rating.... Robert
Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic