Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 1989 widebody american dream i plug in the power cord

Customer Question

I have a 1989 widebody american dream i plug in the power cord and i can not get any power in the motor home ,replaced the batters ,i get power tricklin in like signal lites on and off what is possible wrong could it be the inverter in the rear or what
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is Robert.....
Are you missing the AC power, DC power or both? Are the outlets, microwave etc working? OR all the DC power is out?
Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
every thing is out ac and dc all out
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
OK
Do you have a generator and if it can start will it allow power into the RV?
Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
generator does not start ,when electric is hooked up power will trickle in but will not hold it acts like a flasher going off and on
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
OK
The key will be that you are missing the AC power, the inverter will take the AC power and charge the house batteries so you have DC power. SO need to figure out why the AC power is missing.
Are you plugged into a 50 amp service? Are you using any adapters or extension cords on the main cord?
Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have used both 50 amp and 120 i was useing 50 amp running 1 ac when i started loseing power
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
OK
The incoming AC power will go through an automatic transfer switch, the ATS detects the incoming source and switches back and forth between generator and shore power, from there some of the power will go to the inverter and breaker panel. IF you have not done so, turn all your breakers OFF, go unplug from power, go to the inverter and shut it down, plug back in, turn the breakers ON and restart the inverter and see if you have power. IF you have no power then you are going to have to check to see if power is getting to the main breaker panel, if AC power is not getting to the breaker panel check the ATS, sometimes they can fail. Both the shore cord and generator cord will go to it. Sometimes it is next to the shore cord and other times it can be inside, sometimes behind breaker panel..... Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not only am i loseing ac power i dont have any power to any lights ignition,or any thing
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Understand, the inverter should be charging the batteries when you are plugged in, if the inverter is not getting AC power then you are not going to have any DC power as the inverter can not charge the batteries. So need to trace the AC power and see where it is missing. Try another power source as well if you have not done so..... Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
you have 2 inverters 1 inside 1 in rear which one are you refuring to also i need to contact you friday because rv is 116 miles from me
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
OK
Not sure on that if you have two inverters, do you have a power converter and inverter? Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1 inverter is in the roadside utility compatrment 1 is in compatment in dinette
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
OK
I am not familiar with that type of set up with two inverters, I am going to put your question back up for other experts. My goal is for you to be satisfied and maybe another expert will have some input on this. I do not know when another expert will respond they come and go daily.... Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you for your effords