Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 2011 tour and since last summer been having a musty

Customer Question

I have a 2011 tour and since last summer been having a musty smell so bad that we cannot use it any idea what's causing It?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is Robert....
A musty smell is not a good sign at all, normally if you have a musty smell and it is strong when you walk into the RV you could have a water leak that has gotten in the ceiling or walls. That is the only time I have smelt that kind of smell. What you could try do is rent a DE-humidifer and see how much moisture is inside the RV, that will pull any water out of the air if there is any out of the RV. This is a difficult question because it is hard to say where the leak has occurred without pull items apart.
I might pull some screws on the roof make sure they are not rusty or look for any very soft spots on the roof, make sure everything is sealed around the vents and covers.
After that I would allow a shop about 1 hour to diagnose....
Hope this helps, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert