RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We are flat towing a 2003 Honda Pilot. We are using a Blue…

Customer Question
We are flat towing a...
We are flat towing a 2003 Honda Pilot. We are using a Blue Ox patriot brake which is plugged into the accessory plug during towing. The ignitian key is in accessory 1 and the transmission is in neutral. By about mid-day we are getting a message from the Blue Ox brake that the car battery is low and it stops activating the brake. What is the solution to this problem.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
6/24/2015
RV Mechanic: Michael Reush, RV Technician replied 3 years ago
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Hi, one of the most common ways to resolve this issue is to run a charge line from the motorhome to the car . this requires adding a second two wire plug to the rear of the coach, and wiring the mated plug wires to the battery, this allows the battery to charge from the tow vehicle, and compensate for the draw on the cars battery. Please get back to me for clarification if necessary, thanks
Thanks. So the plug we have which has five plus a center spot does not charge the battery?
that is correct it has the turn signals , stop lamps, running lights and a ground wire, and no charge line for the battery
Thank you.
your welcome, I'm here for you if you have any issues, please take the time now to rate me as this is how I receive credit for our work together,,,thanks. Michael
Hi, I hav'nt heard from you for a bit, how are you progressing?