Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

There is ahose that runs from my valve cover into my air cleaner

Customer Question

there is ahose that runs from my valve cover into my air cleaner and it is blowing oil in there is that nor mal its an onan microquiet 4000 don't have serial number handy
Category: RV
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. There are a couple of possibility's. One is the reed type crankcase breather valve. The valve can go bad or get dirty. The other potential problem is internal engine damage. To check/service the crankcase breather valve, the valve cover has to be removed. I have a link I want to give you, I will post it HERE. It is the 158 page Onan service manual for this model of generator. In the manual section 8.8, on the right side of the page under "Crankcase Breather Service Procedure"it goes over the procedure. There is a drawing showing the setup right under the service procedure, pic #8-6. If the problem goes beyond that you need to check for internal engine problems. A leak down test is the best method to check for internal problems that can cause this condition. I would save this manual for future use, it has everything on this model generator. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it,have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer. I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.