RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I need to replace my TPS-5530ss converter in my RV, what would…

Customer Question
I need to replace my...
I need to replace my TPS-5530ss converter in my RV, what would you recommend?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
6/22/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert...
Just to verify that model converter you have is part of the main fuse/breaker panel or does it sit off to the side and plug into an outlet and feed the fuse panel?
Robert
It is a part of the main fuse/breaker panel...located at the bottom of it.
OK
Thanks, ***** ***** what I was thinking but wanted to be sure, I might replace the entire breaker panel and converter section with a progressive dynamics pd4560. The current one is a 55 amp so that would work for you they make one of the best converters at least they are on the top of my list, with Atwood being on the very bottom. Below is a link for you copy and paste that into your browser and you can have a look. Hope this helps... Robert
http://www.progressivedyn.com/all_in_one_pd4500_1.html
I have to replace this unit myself...would replacing the entire unit make it easier or more difficult? Right now, if my research is correct, there are only 4? wires that I need to worry about in the converter unit itself. Please let me know if I am incorrect.Thanks for the link, going there now.
Are there any with a surge protection built, I suspect that was the culprit for this unit...it worked fine for two years, we had power installed last year and now it is gone? thanks
OK
I think replacing the entire unit would be the way to go. The new converter will come with directions and Progressive Dynamics has excellent customer support. So I might contact them, tell them what you have now and they can verify that is the best one for you. I can say that you want to make sure you are unplugged from power and you disconnect the battery while you swap it out.... Atwoods are not that great single stage charger, the PD is a three stage charger....
Robert
Got your response, you can get a surge protector that plugs in-line with the shore cord and pedestal... Robert