RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Good evening! How does one replace a 12 volt heating element…

Customer Question
Good evening! How does one...
Good evening! How does one replace a 12 volt heating element in an old 6000 series Norcold fridge?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
6/22/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert..

Sometimes these can get stuck in pretty good and may take some time to get that out in one piece. To start if needed I would un-clip the metal around the element, once you can have a good view of where the element is going in soak the port really good with penetrating oil, trying wiggling while pulling upwards, if it will not go let it sit for several hours with the penetrating oil and try again. You will have to disconnect the wiring at the circuit board as well. Since you also have a AC heating element I believe the bottom one is the the DC element. Click HERE for a service manual, you can look at the wiring on the last few pages and it will tell you location of the DC element wires to the circuit board. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

Robert,

I'm sorry not to have responded any sooner. I've been preoccupied with work related travel and just now slowed down enough to catch up on some other things that need to get done.

Are you indicating then that the 12 VDC element is simply held against the coils by some sort of retaining clip? In other words it is not screwed in or welded/soldered on?

Thanks,

Yes.. They just slide in and are a snug fit. On some they will have a clip at the base, some do not, sometimes you have to remove part of the metal flue canister to get at the element. The DC element should be the one with the yellow leads and the AC element will be the one with the black leads. These can get stuck inside pretty good and penetrating oil might help. Try and wiggle while pulling upwards... Robert

Thanks!

I'll take a look at it and see if I can remove the heater element.

Thanks for your help. I'll provide feedback after I've looked into it.

Steven.

Sounds good I am around daily and respond when I can....

Robert