RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have an 04 winne vectra AD.

Customer Question
The message center (annunciators) and...
I have an 04 winne vectra AD. The message center (annunciators) and gauges don't activate when the key is turned on. The vehicle drives just fine and the dash lights work. Appears i have 12VDC power supply to the VDC. Contacted Freightliner and they sent me Service bulletin 54-12. It basically performs a continuity check from various points within the wiring harness and connectors. Will start that shortly.
But before I begin this Easter egg hunt, I was wondering if there are simple failure modes to look for and perhaps from your experience, the most probable failure. Does the VDC or message center actually just fail suddenly or have issues with the wiring harness?
Thanks;
Len P
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
6/21/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert...

Over the years on this site have seen a few failures with the VDC module, also there has been a known issue with the solder joints on the VDC, that was mostly on earlier year models, the 54-12 troubleshooting should give you a very good idea of where the failure is at.... Really could be a number of items and doing the checks will help narrow down the issue. Robert
Performed some TS. Limited since I can't seem to locate the VCD on this vehicle. Do you know where it is?On the MC I tested pin 8 of the 15 pin connector. The service bulletin says i should read 12VDC with the key off and zero with key on. I get about 200mV with key off and about 20mV with key on. When i ground pin 8 with key on the MC goes through the SU sequence and all gauges move. The analog gauges read properly (Volts and fuel) and the MC times out indicating park, transmission and something else.
Your thoughts?
Here is my phone in case its easier for to to talk.
Len(###) ###-####
The VDC can be about anywhere, it could be in the dash, or located outside in one of the storage compartments, under the front cap....
What I would do is find that VDC and check all the wires for continuity and make sure it is not the harness. I will take a look at some prints and IF I find the location of that VDC I will let you know. Winnebago prints can be lacking in chassis information but I will at least have a look... Robert
Found it, below is a link for you copy and paste that into your browser.... It is called the MMDC 3rd page. Appears you have the MMDC which is basically the same as the VDC...
Robert
link...
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2004/04_s-ser_wire_144022.pdf
Freightliner says it's under the bed or maybe in the engine compartment but can't say for sure since Winnebago installs them. I checked the bed and partially searched the engine compartment with no luck. Will call Winnebago tomorrow.
Did you get my last reply? I sent you a print of your unit and it is is with other electrical components, they call it the MMDC page 3...
Copy and paste the link into your browser.
Checked that compartment and panel, there's no mmcd located inside. Freightliner says the vcd will have two red and green air lines attached to it. The vdc is supposed to convert air pressure to digital.
Perhaps the air system diagram could offer clues?
yes it will have air lines going into it, unfortunately they do not have air system diagrams, just wiring and plumbing.
IF you would like to try another expert please let me know, my goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, I only get credit when you select a rating.... Robert
I just knew this would be an easter egg hunt. That's why I gave this resource a try.
We can try another expert but only if they have specific knowledge of this system and vehicle.
Trying to salvage my vacation next week.
For what it's worth thanks for attempting.
Len
I will put your question back up for others, I do not know when another expert will respond.... IF no other experts respond please let me know and I can request a refund for you... Robert

Robert, I have not received any replys to this question. Please help me with a refund. Thanks Len

OK

I will request that for you, sorry no other experts were able to respond...

Robert