RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a slide problem with my 2000 Dolphin 36'. There is…

Customer Question
I have a slide problem...
I have a slide problem with my 2000 Dolphin 36'. There is a single slide in the living room with Power Gear drive. The problem is that the slide will come in but won't go out with the switch. This just started about a week ago.
After spending some time troubleshooting, I have the problem narrowed down to the wire from the switch to the relay board. The wire at the switck is a lightweight grey wire. When it reaches the relay board it is a much heavier Orange wire. It seems to happen often with RVs that a wire disappears into the bowels of the rig and emerges elsewhere as a completely different wire.
It would be much appreciated if you have any information on where and why this wire morphs from one to the other as that seems the most likely source of the problem. Or, of course, any other fix suggestion.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
6/21/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert....

This is a very difficult question as you are correct the wires will run into the belly and they will be tightly secured with many other wires and would be very difficult to find. My suggestion would be to run a jumper wire from the switch to the relay board and see if everything works, if so then it might be easier to run a new wire it can be wire loomed and secured. Of course you mentioned that it goes from a small to large wire so possible that it might be tied in with something else, if that is the case you would know when you tried the jumper wire..... Robert

I was hoping you might have access to wiring diagrams or other information on where to look for a connection between the wires. A single wire seems unlikely to fail unless damaged by some trauma. Since no damage occurred, that I know of, it seems most likely the problem is at the connection.

understand, IF I had any diagrams I would give them to you, they are hard to find with companies that have gone under. My goal is for you to be satisfied, maybe another expert will have some input on this so I am going to put your question back up for others. I do not know when another expert will respond they come and go daily... Robert