RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have an 06 Newmarket Essex and can't get AC to come on under…

Customer Question
We have an 06 Newmarket...
We have an 06 Newmarket Essex and can't get AC to come on under electrical hookup power. It runs off generator but won't come on when plugged in
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
6/19/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert..

Sounds like the Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) is at fault. The ATS will detect the incoming power source and switch back and forth depending on what source you are using. Sometimes the relay inside can stick and when this happens you will get NO AC power on source, it can happen on generator or the shore side. So going to have to find the ATS, sometimes it is right next to the shore cord and other times it can be inside. Follow both the generator and shore cord it will lead right to it. Once you find the ATS check for power in and out of it. IF you have AC power going in and not out it has failed and will need to be replaced.... Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, I respond when I can... Robert
Sorry we just got your answer this morning. Power seems to be going thru cord but the atc doesn't serm to be spreading the energy to the coach. Is there a breaker that could possibly be off somewhere?
NO....

The generator and shore both share all the same breakers AFTER the transfer switch, So I suspect it has failed, they can fail and when they do they need to be replaced. About the only other thing you can try is unplug or shut the generator OFF, turn all your breakers OFF inside, if you have an inverter shut it down, plug back into power, turn the breakers back ON and then the inverter. Really think the ATS has failed...

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit... Robert
OK

Let me clear something up are you missing all the AC power or the roof AC, I may have mis-understood... Robert
No we think you're right Robert. We had somebody checking some things here we are pretty sure it is the automatic transfer box. We had a problem with the generator something melted all the brushes in the generator and so we had the generator fixed but they never looked in any other power source to see if that was affected. I think you're right so unless you have any other thoughts
Got to be that transfer switch, AC power going in and nothing out it has failed....

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating... Robert