RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

Shut my rv down and I am hearing a noise like something is

Customer Question
trying to engage the noise...
Shut my rv down and I am hearing a noise like something is trying to engage the noise is coming from the front by the generator area
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
6/18/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert..
Really hard to say where the noise is coming from. What I would do to start is see what both the house and chassis battery is. IF the battery voltage is low under 10.5 volts then it could be the generator trying to auto start, sometimes if the voltage is very low you might hear a clicking noise. IF the voltage is low then I would charge the batteries up and see if the noise goes away.I might also go to the generator and on the back side you should see a plug, unplug that and see if the clicking noise goes away. Beyond that I would see if you can locate the source, if it is clicking you should be able to feel the component and go from there. IF you happen to find out what is clicking please let me know. I would see if this is voltage related to start... Hope this helps... Robert.
I think the transfer relay continue to cycle on the VAC of the Magnum
OK
Are you plugged into power at all do you have good DC voltage at the house batteries?
Robert
Its cycling sound like something is trying to engage
Not sure if you got my last reply, are you plugged into power and do you have good DC voltage at the batteries?
Robert
I am plugged in to 50 amp outlet
OK
Try this..... Shut all the breakers off inside the RV, unplug from power, while the unit is unplugged from power go shut the inverter off. Plug back into power and then turn all the breakers back on and then the inverter and see if the problem is fixed. Also let me know if the clicking stops when you unplug from shore-power or when you shut the inverter down... Robert
Ok
The noise stopped when I was unplugged
OK
Did you shut the inverter down and do the breakers yet?
IF you start the generator will the noise come back?
Robert
It came back when I turned everything back on
OK
If you unplug from power and start the generator will the noise come back? And is the noise coming from the inverter or away from the inverter? And I assume when you are plugged in you have all the AC power?
Robert
Yes
Away
OK
So same clicking with generator running?
Robert
Its not clicking more Motor trying to run
Even unplugged with the engine off generator off I can hear it
OK
I was thinking possible transfer switch issue but if you have all the AC power removed it should not be clicking. IF the noise is away from the inverter then the inverter is not at fault.
IF you shut the battery disconnect switch off will the noise stop?
Robert
I will try that
Still have noise
OK
Do you have a chassis battery disconnect if so can you shut that off?
Robert
Ok done
SO did the noise stop when the chassis battery disconnect was turned OFF?
Robert
No
OK....
Think at this point need to find what component is clicking, you should be able to feel it. With the 12 volt disconnects off the power should be isolated but sometimes items can be wired direct to the battery, these would be components that have a smaller gauge wire going to the battery direct. This is a hard one to say what is causing the noise unless you can directly pin it down.
My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, IF you would like to try another expert please let me know... I only get credit when you select a rating... Robert
I shut all the Breakers down and put them on one by one the noise came back when I turned the arc #2 and charger braker back on
OK
Is that breaker at the inverter or in the breaker panel....
Robert
Panel
SO the breaker we are talking about what does it control? IS it for the inverter?
Sorry for all the questions, trying my best.
Robert
It control AC #2 and Charger
At the panel
OK
Let me review all this and give this some more thought....
Robert
Ok 👌
OK
SO what is the house and chassis battery voltage at the batteries?
I am thinking this has to deal with that inverter, could be a loose connection, or low voltage, wiring issue.
What I do not understand is if you have all the AC power disconnected and the 12 volt disconnects off you should not have any clicking. The inverter will try and charge the batteries when you are plugged in but when you are unplugged it will take the DC battery voltage and make the AC voltage..
Robert
I figured it out it was my satellite 📡 surching for a signal 📶
wow.... Good job on that, had me going on this one, I am glad it was nothing serious....
My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, I only get credit when you select a rating, if you are not satisfied please let me know... Robert
Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic