RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

MY 78 5th Prowler 5th wheel has been sitting in one spot for…

Customer Question
MY 78 5th Prowler 5th...
MY 78 5th Prowler 5th wheel has been sitting in one spot for years, we are getting it ready to move, it is still on jacks, we can't get the wheels to turn, are there brakes we need to release?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
The battery is not connected, will that release brakes?
6/15/2015
RV Mechanic: jazzmaster, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
jazzmaster
jazzmaster, RV Mechanic
hi, these have electric brakes I would think that the drums and brake shoes are kind of corroded together a little .what I would do is you need to jack up each axle until the wheel (s) is off the ground then see if that wheel will turn what ever wheels wont turn you need to take off the wheel and then use a hammer on the face/edge of the drum and tap it .most times this will loosen it to spin , apply penetrating spray at where the lug nuts are and also where the drum slides onto the hub .you may have to do this several times and even let it sit a bit after spraying the penetrating oil on it ..and keep working it ..in extreme cases a torch will have to be used to heat the drum up a little .there is most likely a build up of rust and just hammering it a little should free it up but it may take a bit ..jazzmaster ..
hooking up a battery wont release the brakes as the brakes are most likely at rest (not pushed out )you could try to work the brakes and see if that helps loosen the drum but most likely it wont
do you still need help ?with your just answer question