Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

What does no 11850 activity on my workhorse engine that started

Customer Question

What does no 11850 activity on my workhorse engine that started fine this morning and went dead when I tried to move and this code popped up?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
The J1850 bus is a data communications circuit used to send information to the dash gauge cluster from the engine and/or trans. computers. This information is typically vehicle speed, engine temp., oil pressure, engine speed, fuel level, etc., all the items needed for the gauges to display their readings and the trip computer to make its calculations. If for some reason the data circuit is open or shorted, the message you got will appear on the dash. It basically means the dash cluster is not receiving the info. It is a hard code to troubleshoot, what I might try is disconnect the battery, make sure all your cables are clean and tight and you have good battery voltage, sometimes low voltage can cause issues and you might see that code come up. If the voltage is good and disconnecting the battery does not help I would have it looked at... Robert