RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Our Norcold RV 4 door refrigerator, will only operate on LP…

Our Norcold RV 4 door...
Our Norcold RV 4 door refrigerator, will only operate on LP and the Ice Maker stopped working. How do we fix it?
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/12/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert..
So you are saying it is not working on AC power, only LP?
Robert
That is correct. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. We were in a terrible thunder/lightning storm that just went through Indianapolis.
That's fine I just responded a few mins ago...
Sounds like you are missing the AC power to the fridge, go to the plug in and make sure it has power, if you have to plug something else into the outlet. IF the plug is dead, check all your breakers inside and make sure you do not have a GFI tripped.
IF you have power at the plug then you are going to have to remove the cover on the circuit board, the circuit board will be located outside under the access panel. Unplug the fridge from the outlet and remove the cover, on the board will be some fuses, one fuse is for that AC power, if it is blown then it will not work on AC power. IF you have AC power going into the board then the board may have failed.... All the fridge needs is DC power to turn on, the ice-maker and fridge AC side both require that AC voltage.... So need to be plugged in or generator running as well...
Both AC outlets are hot. Where is this control panel, or what does it look like?
OK
IF you remove the outside access panel for the fridge in the lower left corner you will see black box with a bunch of wires going to it, the top part of the box comes off and inside are some fuses. It is important that you unplug the fridge, you do not want to touch the AC fuse when plugged in.... Robert
We unplugged the electrical outlets inside the outside compartment, but the only black box we could find about the dimension of 6 X 9" was behind a lot of wires that could not be removed, without us messing up the whole wiring system. We could find a small black box in front of all those wires, but there were no fuses inside.
OK
I am going to provide you a manual see page 54, number 6 is the circuit board and the ac fuse is number 8... Copy and paste the link below into your browser..... Robert
link...
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncold1200.pdf
We are not able to decipher all of those codes and diagrams and not knowledgeable of circuits and wiring. If we were, we wouldn't have had to contact you. We've already checked all of our fuses, all wires seem to be connected and in place, Our refrigerator is working, but only on LP, so we were just trying to find out where the problem lies with the AC not working, which also seems to affect the Ice Maker.
Sorry I did mean to seem so technical... IF it is not working on AC power along with the ice maker then the fuse on the circuit board has to be checked. IF you disconnect the supply wires going to the board and pull all the connectors you will be able to remove the cover. It might be best to have a RV shop check it out for you, I don't want to see you damage anything.
My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts IF you would like to try another expert please let me know, I only get credit when you rate my service... Robert
We're here near New Castle, IN with storms going on all the time. We will try to move some of those wires, and take the black cover off, when there isn't a threat of rain and lightning. If it is the fuse, are they hard to come by, and can they be purchased anywhere. I will let you know one way or another, if we can accomplish that task.
Understand....
Nothing special about the fuse, an auto parts store will have it if it is the problem.... Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic