RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I think I ran my Onan quiet diesel out of fuel. Didn't know…

Customer Question
I think I ran my...
I think I ran my Onan quiet diesel out of fuel. Didn't know the fuel pickup was higher in the tank. Anyway it spins over fine. I've changed the filter. ( fuel was present in the filter). I've tried to prime as recommended. Tried about 20 to 30 times no luck. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/7/2015
RV Mechanic: Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets replied 3 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Hello!
My name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
What is the full model number of the genset, exactly as it is written on the data label?
.
I dont know. and Im not near the unit
Its going to be kind of hard to tell you what to do if I don't know which model it is.
But the first thing you need to do, which covers all models of diesel, is to do a fuel flow test.
From underneath the genset, disconnect the fuel return line from the barb on the genset.
Attach a piece of fuel hose to the barb, and place the end of the hose into an empty container of at least 1 quart capacity.
Press and hold the STOP/PRIME button for exactly 1 minute. In 1 minute, it should pump a minimum of 1/2 pint of fuel.
Does it?
.
I am unable to continue this today. How can I get back to you tomorrow afternoon. In the mean time I will do the check you described and also get the gen set #
Just reply to this question.
Every time I reply, you are sent an email with a direct link to this question. You can just click on that link.
Or you can log in to Just Answer with your user name and password, and click on the "My Qeustions" link.
.
Have you checked on this yet?
.