RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My Norcold model 1201LRIM blew the fuse on the pc board and…

Customer Question
My Norcold model 1201LRIM blew...
My Norcold model 1201LRIM blew the fuse on the pc board and it does not work on the electric side with a new fuse. It works fine on propane side. Its in a 2004 winnebago.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/7/2015
RV Mechanic: Michael Reush, RV Technician replied 2 years ago
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Hi this can be a couple of different things, first of all remove the wires to the 120v heater located in the heat stack on the right, and take the wires off of the control board, (unplug the refer first) and check resistance of the heater, thanks
am I checking resistance between the ac heat low and ac heat high terminals on the pc board?
Hi, what were doing is testing the resistance of the heaters, unplug the two wires and test the wires,
ac low to ac high no continuity, ac low2 to ac high2 almost no resistance
thanks, ***** ***** unplug the heaters from the board, replace the fuse, plug it back in and see if the fuse blows
unplugged heaters ,fuse did not blow, turned off power plugged heaters back in and turned power on and still did not blow the fuse
thanks, ***** ***** operate now on ac?
no it does not
thanks, ***** ***** ac in from the outlet to the powerboard, ck to see if there is volatage at the fuse that was blowing
ac in to board 118.8v, at fuse 108.8
thanks, ***** ***** refer off, turn it back on to ac, go back to the control board, and ck voltage at the terminals to the ac heater
power at board terminals; low 1-13.2, low 2-13.4, high1-108.1, high 2-108.7 but when I check the wires one at a time checking feed back voltage, low 1-54.5, low 2-108, high 1-7, high 2-13.3 , the #1 side also had no continuity?
thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,do me a favor, check the continuity of the heating elements it should be around 65ohms, then do you have two heaters or one? I know your board has low, and high................test one terminal against the other of the same output, two terminals low, two terminals high, thanks
low 1 to high 1 - no continuity, low 2 to high 2- 57ohms
I'm sorry I am not communicating properly............I need voltage reading from the terminals for low, and the terminals for high................one probe on one terminal, and one on the other on low,,,,,,,,,,,,,and high............then I need the resistance reading of the element itself, test one wire against the other on the same heater, No continuity reading, voltage................set your meter to ac.thanks
term low1 to high 1, 118v low2 to high2, 120v; element 1 118v, element 2 120v , I hope this helps!
these readings tell me the refer is working on the ac. let it heat up, and see if it cools inside, test it overnight , and get back with me tomorrow, thanks
Michael Reush
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician