gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

Why dose my inverter shut down when i turn on my converter

Customer Question

why dose my inverter shut down when i turn on my converter for my 12 volts system in my travel trailer
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 2 years ago.
Hi, is the converter a factory installation, and the inverter put in aftermarket, and if you can give me the model number of the converter, and the inverter, thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi yes the converter is a factory one the inverter is a 3000watts eliminator from Canadian tire
thanks, ***** ***** you have the inverter wired in, directly to the battery? or? and if you have the literature on the inverter it would help much, thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Directly to the batteries I have 6 batteries allbatteries are hook parallel i am not at my trailer right now to get literature tha u ask for
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you call me only phone or can I call you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I meant can you call me
The 6 volt batteries should be wired in series ( they probably are) and I'm trying to determine if the inverter has a charging circuit, as normally the inverter is uses as the charge source, and the converter / charger is defeated, but I need to know what it is you have to make that determination, sorry I dont do the phone thing, and its not allowed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have 6 volts batteries I have 12 Volts batteries
thanks rereading it says 6 batteries, you are correct in parallel, no worries. I need that information to continue, also check the condition of the batteries when you are there, model number converter, model number inverter thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can only give you what you need to know when I get back to my trailer in one hour I would be back there to my trailer
were not in a hurry, get back to me when you have the information, thanks, if I'm not here then I will be shortly thereafter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok
please wait until your ready with the information, as I must respond each time you do, thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok #on my inverter is(###) ###-####6 on the converter is ac04w118613487
thanks, ***** ***** does not have a charging circuit, so there is no 'fighting' between the converter and the inverter.........................So if it shuts down when you turn on the converter, its a voltage issue, or it could be that the converter is supplying 'dirty' voltage to that system. Normally the batteries filter out the leftover sinewave from the conversion from ac to dc.. so lets check voltage to the inverter at the inverter without shore power, and with shore power, as I assume this is when you loose your inverter. thanks
and that model number does not come up, check again, manufacturer name, another number thanks
refering to the converter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That the only # ***** see on the converter with out taken it out thanks for your time