RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Have a 97 Coachman lite. One circuit of receptacles dead. All…

Customer Question
Have a 97 Coachman lite...
Have a 97 Coachman lite. One circuit of receptacles dead. All the ones that are CFGI (3 of them) They are not what I'm used to in a GFI because they don't have resets. Is there a hidden "reset" for all the CFGI's.
I am guessing one tripped and that got all three. I'm hot at all the breakers. My question is where do I look? Thank you! Don
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
6/4/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert...

Normally the GFI would have a reset on it, they like to stick them in the bathroom or galley but they can also be located just about anywhere else including the outside. You are correct they will all be daisy chained together so if one fails then the others will go down. So if you do not see another GFI, I would shut the breaker OFF for the outlets and check all the connections to start at each outlet, sometimes the wire nuts or connectors can vibrate loose. IF they all look good you are going to have to get a meter and check for AC voltage at each outlet, starting at the outlet closest to the breaker panel working away from it. IF you have no power at the first outlet in line then check the breaker.... Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Also one thing that might help is a polarity checker, it will plug into the outlets and tell you if there is in fact a wiring issue. Most home improvement stores sell them for a few dollars.... Robert
Done all that as I stated. I have no continuity between the first receptical and the breakers. Already been in it with meter. I am hot at each breaker. I am retired electronics tech 37 years. Thing is, I can't trace the wire from the breaker box to the first GFCI. I just wanted to know it's path on this machine from the box.
If I knew how these GFCI works. They are different than anything I ever saw before. No reset on them. I figured there was a reset somewhere, but just hidden. Can you tell me how they reset?
Really not sure on that, the ones I have seen do have the reset and test button on them. The only other thing I might try is to ohm the wire out from the breaker leading to the first outlet in-line. I would not know where the wires run from the breaker panel. If you like I can put your question back up for other experts... Robert
Yes, That is the first thing I did when I saw I had nothing at the first GFI. I ohmed it and there is no continuity from it to the breaker box. Open at each breaker.
OK
I will throw your question back up so others can respond. I do not know when another expert will respond, they come and go daily, IF I think of anything at all I will let you know..
Just brain storming, if you have an inverter make sure no breakers are tripped on it, most inverters have two breakers on them...
Robert
No inverter
So, I should check in later and see if someone helped me?

You were going to have "other experts" answer. Been a lot over the 24 hours promised. I got nothing for my 29 bucks!

I just wanted an answer to where the reset was for GFCI's that had no reset. I thought $29 was cheap to save me time.

I got no answer so I found it myself. How do I recover the $29 or at least $24 with would give you the deposit.

Sorry no other experts have responded....I will request a refund for you...

Robert
Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic