RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2001 Keystone Hornet Travel Trailer. Over the course of last year I started…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...
Hi, I have a 2001 Keystone Hornet Travel Trailer. Over the course of last year I started losing DC lights inside the camper. Some worked and some didn't. Now now work. The Furnace, the AC, The microwave and outlets on the right side of the trailer don't work. The AC lights and two outlets on the left still work. Also not charging the battery. I was thinking power converter, but also wondering if the wiring is bad because of rodents or something. Do you have any thoughts? If I need to change the converter I would like the type and instructions to do so.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
6/2/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert...
This might take some going back and forth...
From what you say you are missing some of the AC power. The power converter will take the AC power and make the DC power when you are plugged in. So if you have no AC power going to the converter you are not going to have DC voltage.
You could have multiple issues as well with the AC power missing on one side only sounds like a tripped GFI. So to start I would go around and look at all the outlets and look for the ones with the test and reset on them. Normally they are in the bathroom or galley but can be just about anywhere else including the outside.
We need to figure why the AC power is missing before troubleshooting the DC side.
Are you using any adapters or extension cords on the main cord?
Robert
No adapters or extenstion cords. We are plugged directly into the campground shore power. It is a permanent setup and I have other outside AC power on our patio coming directly from the campground power circuit as well.
OK
Had to rule that out as sometimes cords and adapters can cause issues. Have you looked all over for a tripped GFI including the outside? It is odd one side works and the other does not, which tells me possible GFI... Let me know, you are allowed to follow up as much as needed and I am around daily... Robert
OK, the only GFI I am aware of is in the bathroom. I tried it mulitple times over the weekend but wasn't getting power from even that outlet. I will check again this afternoon. Oh, before I totally lost DC and most of the AC power inside the camper, I noticed the converter would periodically make a loud buzzing sound. The lights cycled dim fairly often as well.
OK
I would take another quick look for another GFI. IF you do not have a generator the main power cord will go right to the main breaker panel inside. The next step would be to see if AC voltage is getting to the main panel and to check all the connections at the breaker panel. The AC voltage has to be working for the converter to make the DC voltage. Possible something chewed on some wires but I would checking where the shore cord is coming in to the panel. Also could be an issue with the actual shore cord and if you can check the plug in end I would. IF you need to get back to me later please get me the make and model of the converter. Robert
Ok. I will get all that tonight. I was thinking since I am getting AC in the slideout (the only place) in the camper, that AC was coming into the breaker box.
OK
Correct but it could be an issue with the breaker box, as some power is going out to the RV, so it sounds like a cord or connection issue, but I would also look for another GFI. Have to trace the flow of power from the cord, to the breaker panel and then out to the trailer.... It will take some going back and forth and I will help you the best I can... Robert
I respond when I can, sometimes I am tied up but always respond... Robert
I went to the camper last night to do some more diagnostics. I also took some pictures of things.
I put a new charged battery to check DC and messed with the AC in different ways.
With the new battery hooked up and plugged into shore power, most of the DC lights worked with about 4 still not working. No big deal there. The fridge starting working and the Air conditioning as well. All AC lights are working.
I took the electric panel out and also the converter to check it. I plugged the converter into another power source to make sure it was getting AC power to it.
I could not find another GFI, however the one that I know in the bathroom I could not get to close. It appears all GFI outlets in the camper are not working and the few non GFI are. I wonder if the GFI is the problem or if there is a circuit problem that won’t let it close? When pressed it doesn’t feel like it clicks at all.
OK
The GFI could be bad, normally what happens if the polarity is not correct or you are missing voltage the GFI will not reset. What I might do next is grab a Polarity checker and new GFI. The polarity checker will plug into the outlets and tell you if you have a wiring issue. Most home improvement stores have the polarity checkers for a few dollars. IF you have a wiring issue go to the first non working outlet and work away from the breaker panel checking each outlet. IF you have no power a the first non working outlet check for power at the breaker for the circuit, if you have power going in and nothing going out of the breaker bad breaker. IF you have no power to the breaker check your connections on the breaker panel. Robert