Larry Welch
Larry Welch,
Experience:  Master RV Tech at Hickory RV
81671807

I have a 2001 Automate 37 foot 5th Wheel Rv, 12000 lb. I just

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Automate 37 foot 5th Wheel Rv, 12000 lb. I just bought this about 6 months ago. It set for 10 years and not used. I am trying to inspect the breaks and repack the wheel bearings. I can not get the hub to slide off. I have released the brakes, removed the front bearing but the hub will only move about a 1/2". I am I missing a safety keeper or will I need a puller?
Category: RV
Expert:  Larry Welch replied 2 years ago.
Hi Larry here. Sitting that long, they can be stubborn. A rubber dead blow mallet and a small crow bar works for me. You could have a combination of the rear bearing race stuck and/or the brake shoes hanging the drum up even though you have released them, they could have rusted to the drum. If this has help you, please take the time to rate the answer, if we need to go further, please contact me and we shall resolve your issue.