RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Heater is lit, water out of the pop off valve is hot, but the…

Customer Question
Heater is lit, water out...
Heater is lit, water out of the pop off valve is hot, but the water inside the trailer is not warm. The valves are open. What else should we try?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
This is an ATWOOD heater in a 2006 Mobile Scout fifth wheel
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Well, I am signing off now. I have to get up at 5:30 tomorrow to get ready for my father's funeral, and I'll be showering in cold water, but I can't stay up any longer waiting on this "often in 10 minutes or less". Sorry to sound cranky, but I'm tired, dirty, and sad. Please email your answer, now that you've got my money, to***@******.***. Thanks anyway, Jane Fitzgerald
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/30/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert...
I am very sorry you had to wait, I am normally around but was at my daughters softball game..
Maybe I can point you in the right direction. IF this is an Atwood XT model water heater then please let me know right away as that one has a mixing valve on the back.
IF it is not a XT model the most likely cause is a failed check valve on the back of the tank. The check valve will be about a 4" straight pipe that screws right into the back of the tank, when the spring and disc fall out it can block the flow of hot water. The check valve will be plastic or brass and have tiny arrows on it for direction of flow. Sometimes you have to pull a panel or drawer inside to get to the back of the water heater.
One other thing, make sure if you have an outdoor sprayer the valves are turned OFF, I have seen some strange things occur when they are left open.
Again I am sorry for the delay and sorry for your loss. PLEASE feel free to contact me if you have more questions or concerns.... Robert