RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

How to remove and replace an air compressor on a Cummings 275…

Customer Question
how to remove and replace...
how to remove and replace an air compressor on a Cummings 275 isb in a Fleetwood Motorhome?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
5/30/2015
RV Mechanic: Joe, RV Technician replied 3 years ago
Joe
Joe, RV Technician
Hello, my name is Joe
Do you have the engine serial number, or at least the year of the engine?
-Joe
2000 is the year. I think the engine serial number is ***** I have already started to remove. I am draining the antifreeze as I type..
Thanks for the reply, and I am sorry for the delay.
Compressor removal.
Drain the engine coolant.
Remove the coolant lines from the air compressor.
Remove the air connections from the air compressor.
Remove the oil supply and return lines, if applicable.
Remove the air compressor support bracket and capscrews.
Remove the four capscrews and the air compressor.
Reassembly;
Air Compressor Timing (for Single-Cylinder Air Compressor only)
Locate top dead center (TDC) on the compressor crankshaft by removing the unloader valve or head (refer to the respective air compressor manual). Top dead center (TDC) does not have to be exact. The system is tolerant of some misalignment.
Use ink to mark the air compressor gear face at top dead center (TDC) (twelve-o'clock position when viewed from the front).
Locate top dead center (TDC) for cylinder No. 1 by barring the crankshaft slowly while aligning the mark on the fuel pump drive gear with the top dead center (TDC) mark.
Rotate the compressor top dead center (TDC) mark to 60 degrees, or 6 teeth on a 36-tooth gear, before top dead center (TDC). This is approximately ten o'clock when viewed from the front of the air compressor.
Use a new gasket. Install the air compressor to the gear housing.
Install the air compressor support bracket.
Mounting Nuts
77 n.m
[57 ft-lb]
Support Capscrews to Air Compressor
43 n.m
[32 ft-lb]
Support Capscrews to Block
57 n.m
[42 ft-lb]
-Joe
Thanks for the reply. I have finished the job with the removal of the compressor and started to remove the fuel pump. Thanks again and I will request you if I need assistance in the future.
Joe
Thanks for the update.
Joe