RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

This unit has a 454 ci and has sat years and last year

Customer Question
This unit has a 454...
This unit has a 454 ci and has sat for 2 years and last year we got it. Replaced the fuel pump and filters (twice) and added 4 cans seafoam (hundred gallons) and still hesitates and bogs on hills. shut down while in traffic but started up after a minute.
Kept topping fuel off and is a little better but want the bogging corrected. When cold, first 15 minutes, runs great.Help!!!
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
5/28/2015
RV Mechanic: spankyjr1, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, RV Mechanic
My name is ***** ***** you for your question.
This is a carburetter engine correct?
Are you familiar with working on vehicles?
Let me know
It is a carbed unit and do work on my own vehicles when possible! Thanks.
Thanks for info.
This sounds just like a choke or choke pull off problem.
Or a Vacuum advance that is stuck in distributer.
First make sure when engine is warm carb butterfly is wide open.
Test choke pull off by applying vacuum to pull off and see if it is holding vacuum. If you don't have a vacuum pump I have used a new hose and just suck on hose to test,,put tongue over hose to make sure it does not leak,,if it does leak off replace,,make sure to set butterfly opening the same as old one.
If its staying partially closed you get these symptoms.
Same with vacuum advance,, test to make sure it holds vacuum and make sure it is moving bottom plate under distributer cap when you apply vacuum.
After these things sit these are the most common problems.
Please take a moment to rate my service so that I can get credit for my time.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
spanky