RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2005 Fleetwood Excursion 39S, Freightliner chassis - My

Customer Question
2005 Fleetwood Excursion 39S, Freightliner...
2005 Fleetwood Excursion 39S, Freightliner chassis
- My backup monitor quit working. I found there is no power going to it. I put power to it and it starts up but no video. I'm thinking the backup camera needs power too so there must be a fuse somewhere for this. Where is it or what is wrong with camera?
Can I check the brake pad thickness without taking the tires off?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
5/27/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert...
I would try looking center dash on the floor for a pull out panel, they used to stick a fuse block in that location and the back up camera ad a 3 amp fuse. I do not remember when they stopped putting them in that location so if you do not see any fuses there I would look in the outside compartments for the chassis fuses and look for a 3 amp fuse. Sometimes you will also find an in-line fuse on the back of the monitor on the power wire, the fuse would be in a holder and it might be bundled and tied up so I would take a quick look for that.
i would look real quick on the back of the wheels for a dust cap sometimes you can see the pads and get an idea but would be hard to get an accurate measurement so would be best to pull the wheel and inspect.....
IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert
Hello Robert, Still don't have power to the monitor. Its one of those old ones that seem to give everyone trouble. A weldex. It came on then went off and it was pretty warm for the short time it was on. Now still not on and fuse is good and has power.
OK
On the back of the monitor did you see a fuse? IF so was it a glass fuse?
Robert
Yes there is one in a little black case and it is fine. I'm going to upgrade to a new version of cameras.
OK
One thing I have seen on the glass style fuse is they can build up resistance and then cause the monitor to shut, down that was working for another RV manufacturer and the fix for that was to install a blade style fuse holder and fuse, the glass type are junk, they can vibrate loose or even fall out of the hold from vibration. I would highly recommend you get a hold of RV cams, they have been helping owners for years and are very well known in the RV world, they also might have some input on which cameras and monitor to upgrade to. In any event I would use a blade style holder if the new set up does not have one. Below is a link for you for RV cams, copy and paste that into your browser and it will give you some contact information, they are the best. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit.... Robert
Also sometimes what I will do if the monitor turns on is go to the back cap and tap around the camera, have someone inside watching the monitor, if the picture skips or comes on then bad camera or connection point, sometimes they will coil up and bed the cables and it can be an issue....
Link Below...
http://www.rvcams.com/