RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I pluged my rv into what appears to be a 240v outlet (unfortunatly…

I pluged my rv into...
I pluged my rv into what appears to be a 240v outlet (unfortunatly too late to notice). Now my generator does not operate anything nor does it charge the house batteries.
5/26/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert...

240 volt can be very damaging so I need to ask is everything working OK on shore power?

Robert
No. Nothing is working on shore power. Only thing that works is by inverting house batteries.
OK

So nothing on both generator and shore power.......

You are going to have to trace the flow of the AC power from the generator cord and shore cord the incoming AC power will go through a transfer switch, from the transfer switch power will go to the breaker panel inside and some will pass through the inverter.

To start on this shut all the breakers OFF, unplug from power and then go shut the inverter down. Make sure you do not have any breakers tripped on the inverter. Plug back in, turn the breakers all back on and then re-start the inverter to see if power is restored.
The next step would be to find the transfer switch and see if you have AC power on both generator and shore. So plugged in you should have AC passing through the TS (Transfer Switch) also the same for generator when it is running. IF you have incoming voltage and nothing coming out it has failed, this would be the best case scenario because if 240 got past the TS it can damage the appliances. The TS can be located in a few areas, sometimes it is next to the shore cord in a box and other times it is inside. Fleetwood likes to stick that behind the breaker panel and it would not be in a box. If 240 was hooked up you might see signs of melted wires.
IF you have power passing through the TS then the inverter could be at fault or the problem is at the main breaker panel. To me with no AC power at all on both Gen and Shore I would be looking at the TS.... Hope this helps some, If you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.. Robert
Hi There
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?
Robert
Yes, it appears the automatic transfer switch is blown and will not reset, I'm assuming the only answer is to replace it?
Yes they really are not repairable and it would have to be replaced and then see what else might have failed...

Hope this helps, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit... Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic