RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I have a dometic 2551 (I think) in my 1969 Airstream. It is

Customer Question
several years old, but hasn't...
I have a dometic 2551 (I think) in my 1969 Airstream. It is several years old, but hasn't been used because of different issues--divorce, storage, redoing some interior, needing new tires, no 30 amp power, etc.
I finally got it to my new home, plugged it into new 30 amp. It is a 2way unit with controls on the bottom. 1- off/gas/electric 2-temperature 3-ignition, and a control light.
My gas tank are full--tried my stove and it works. Refer won't work on gas or electric. All 12 v lights are working in the trailer. I unplugged the refer and plugged in an electric fan, and the outlet is good. What's going on!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
5/23/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert....

When you say will not work on gas or electric is the fridge not turning on at all? OR is the flame going and not cooling the fridge or cooling when running on AC power?

Robert
Not turning on at all. Nothing
OK

On the backside of the fridge you should have a 12 volt supply going to the fridge.The fridge needs DC voltage to run the circuit board. Verify you have 12 volts, normally dometic will have a terminal block where the wires hook up to. Unplug the fridge from the power cord and remove the circuit board cover, you will see wires going to it. Once the cover is OFF inspected the fuses, one is for the DC side and if it is blown the fridge will not tun on. Also one is for the AC side so you do not want to touch that one when it is plugged in. IF you have good DC voltage going into the fridge, the fuse is good then it could be a bad circuit board... IF you have anymore questions or concerns please contact me with the proper model number of the Dometic.... Robert
What if it is a bad circuit board? Could there be a simpler reason that it's not working?
OK

On some Dometics they have a high limit cutout on the flue canister, it is a small disc that has a tiny button that pops out when it trips, since you are not 100% sure on the model it is hard to say but something to look for. The first step is checking the DC voltage and the fuse...... IF voltage is present try another DC source to make sure the power converter is not putting out dirty voltage or ac ripple. IF another supply source does not work then it sounds like the circuit board.... Robert
Would a never used refer have a bad circuit board? If it's that, how much are those to replace?
OK

Hard to say why the circuit board would fail... IF you have DC voltage at the fuse on the board it should be turning on. Check all the connectors on the board, make sure you have no loose wires. As far as cost Dinosaur electronics makes these and they go around 130 depending on the model.
IF you still need help please verify the model number. IF you would like to try another expert please let me know, my goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, I only get credit when you select a rating... Robert
No loose wires. 99% sure it's a 2552
OK

That model frdige is why different from the rm 2551. I am going to give you a service manual on this and it will walk you through the troubleshooting. They do a good job on there manuals. Click HERE to view.... Robert
Sorry, it's a 2011 rm2510. It is bolted into cabinetry, so difficult to unplug, check circuit. When I first put it in it worked on gas-didn't have 50 amp supply at the time. I've read all the service manuals. Thanks.
Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic