Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 2003 Holiday Rambler Imperial motorhome. A couple

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Holiday Rambler Imperial motorhome. A couple of weeks ago the engine batteries were not able to start the motorhome. They were 6 year old so I replaced them. The next day the new batteries had the same problem. I can keep a charge on them with my battery charger but I need to find out what is putting a drain on them. How do I go about finding out what is causing the power drain. I don't have any schmatics so it is difficult to follow the wiring aroung the coach. Any ideas?????
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is Robert....
Are you using the disconnect switch and they are still draining?
Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have not just turned the disconnect off but I have disconnected the batteries and they will hold a charge.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you still there???
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
OK
I would use the chassis disconnect switch and see if you still have a draw. What you can do is get a good 12 volt test light, go to the chassis battery and disconnect the main negative cable, hook one end of the test light to the cable you just removed and the other end to the battery neg. post, the test light should be very faint, if it is bright you have a draw. IF it is bright then you can go to the chassis fuse box and have a second person start pulling the fuses one at a time until the test light goes faint, this will help narrow down the circuit causing the issue. Finding draws can be time consuming but I have used the test light method in the field and it works.
IF the batteries still drain down using the disconnect I would be looking at the smaller gauge wires that are hooked up to the battery that could have constant power going to them..
Hope this helps Robert
Yes I am still here, was responding.